FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Do you refuse to attend some TLM's?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I was reading the SSPX's American website and found an article where they warned the faithful not to attend the Masses of priests exercising their ministry under Ecclesia Dei or Summorum Pontificum. I also know that many people with a strong attachment to the Traditional Mass refuse to attend SSPX chapels because of their canonical situation.

How many people on fisheaters ascribe to one of these positions? If you do, why? If you're lucky enough to live in an area with both options perhaps you could tell us if you preference one over the other.
I've heard this from the SSPX priests in my area, but it wasn't suggested that one should always stay away from diocesan TLMs.  The priest I spoke to was concerned about whether modern priests in the NO who celebrated the TLM were properly ordained.  Now there is a priest in Austin, Fr. Bradley, who celebrates the TLM and has been for many many years.  He was ordained in the 40s or 50s (don't remember when exactly) and there was no question that he is the "real deal".
I voted "No, I will attend the TLM of either group"  That being said, I probably won't attend a CMRI chapel.
No, I will attend the TLM of either group.
There is a hierarchy to what I would attend, and some Masses (TLM or NO) I would attend only by necessity (as in, there were no better option available).

For instance, I'd attend an SSPX Mass before an Eastern Catholic Divine Liturgy. Not for church politics reasons, but because I'm not Eastern and I'm unfamiliar with the DL. But I'd pick the EC DL over a CMRI or SSPV Mass.  Not because I'm against sedes, but because I do not agree with their opinion/tolerance on sedevacantism. I might even consider going Orthodox before CMRI or SSPV, but that's probably more about politics than theology.

Luckily, it's never come up. I live in a city with Many TLM options, as well as a relatively "safe" culture of Novus Ordo (if such a thing is possible. I said it was relative) where crazy things don't happen.
(10-23-2011, 10:13 AM)crusaderfortruth3372 Wrote: [ -> ]I voted "No, I will attend the TLM of either group"  That being said, I probably won't attend a CMRI chapel.

I left the sedevacantist groups out because there don't seem to be a lot of sedes on fisheaters. If, however, there are some who would only attend a sedevacantist Mass then they're welcome to state so here (observing the forum rules of course). I would attend the Mass of SSPX or "Ecclesia Dei" priests, but like you wouldn't go to a CMRI Mass.
(10-23-2011, 10:37 AM)Aragon Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-23-2011, 10:13 AM)crusaderfortruth3372 Wrote: [ -> ]I voted "No, I will attend the TLM of either group"  That being said, I probably won't attend a CMRI chapel.

I left the sedevacantist groups out because there don't seem to be a lot of sedes on fisheaters. If, however, there are some who would only attend a sedevacantist Mass then they're welcome to state so here (observing the forum rules of course). I would attend the Mass of SSPX or "Ecclesia Dei" priests, but like you wouldn't go to a CMRI Mass.

I think there's more sedes than you think, they just don't make as big of a deal out of it as the anti-sedes do.
My intuition says it at about 10% of the posters here in the tank.

tim
i might refuse an sspx...but idk.... i feel the same about an sspx as i do a NO, that i mite go... but i reaaaaaaaaaally rather not

actually i should prob edit this because it sounds like im saying the sspx and the NO are the same thing which they arent...but i dont really prefer either of them however for different reasons.
(10-23-2011, 10:37 AM)Aragon Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes, I agree, but my positions on the Sedes are similar to that of  "WhollyRoaminCatholic's" reply above yours.... The only really difference is I usually attend the FSSP Chapel more often then a SSPX.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7