FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Chicken Butchering? FAIL.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I tried to kill and butcher one of my chickens today.  My fist time doin' it.  Never even cleaned a fish. 

It was horrible, and the worst thing I've ever done.  I won't be able to eat for the rest of the night.  Everything was clumsy and ill done. 

I'll try again, likely.  But this one was not pleasant. 

Perhaps I'll fill in details later.  Dunno.  Anyone else have this kind of problem?
Here's some info. The kill cones are a good option if you can pick up one. First one takes sign in, but it gives the easiest and quickest way to kill a chicken.

www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D63S3gLIeQCA

[video=youtube]
[/video]

[video=youtube]
[/video]
[Image: kill_cone_dux.jpg]
Thank you for sharing that.  Looks much more efficient and humane.  Apparently, having a good sharp knife is important.  All I'm gonna say.
Somewhere on YouTube there is the video of the defeathering using the machine. Or you can try old school.  Practice makes perfect!
You're going to need real knives. I've cooked a little in family owned places. I suggest carbon knives like Dexter Russell. I use a diamond file to  keep them sharp and I have a Henkel steel as well. The knife in the second looked like a 6' curved flexibe boning knife.

https://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/foodservice_Dexter+Russell?kwid=4339c3e7ebdc459eb9edac41394cc7abb&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=dexter%20russell

tim
Hey Laramie, Next time you're in Cebu you have to get your Mother-in-law to show you how it's done, older Filipino women are usually experts at it.  My MIL is an expert at dispatching, plucking and gutting a manok.  We raise 45 day fryers two dozen at a time on our farm.  They get to 3 lbs. in 45 days.  Also we keep a dozen layers. 

I catch and clean the fish, I don't deal with the birds.  I hate all the feathers.
How to butcher a chicken in 20 mins or less:
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/grim79.html

I love this magazine man.
(11-04-2011, 12:57 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone else have this kind of problem?
FIrst - I hunt and fish.  I have killed and butchered farm animals.  All with no problems. 

Now, for the kill a chicken story.  Last spring I decided to hatch some chicken eggs with the intent of having chickens for eggs and meat.  Problem is that the chickens became very attached to me.  Every time I would put my hand int he brooder, or when I would go to the chicken pen, they would come up to me with that "hi mom" look (and I am a guy  :O).  Hanging around my hand or feet, jumping on my lap or letting me hold them.  Basically, they were more like pets than meat animals. My fault of course.

When it came time to make roast chicken using two of the chickens that turned out to be male, I could not kill them.  I had them in the proper position, but just could not do it. Knife at their throats - could not do it.   Had to give them away rather than eat them.

Oh well.  Just gives my wife another reason to laugh at me.....  :LOL:
What a great chicken story, you couldn't do 'em in.

tim
(11-13-2011, 07:17 PM)sacrifice Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-04-2011, 12:57 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone else have this kind of problem?
FIrst - I hunt and fish.  I have killed and butchered farm animals.  All with no problems. 

Now, for the kill a chicken story.  Last spring I decided to hatch some chicken eggs with the intent of having chickens for eggs and meat.  Problem is that the chickens became very attached to me.  Every time I would put my hand int he brooder, or when I would go to the chicken pen, they would come up to me with that "hi mom" look (and I am a guy  :O).  Hanging around my hand or feet, jumping on my lap or letting me hold them.  Basically, they were more like pets than meat animals. My fault of course.

When it came time to make roast chicken using two of the chickens that turned out to be male, I could not kill them.  I had them in the proper position, but just could not do it. Knife at their throats - could not do it.   Had to give them away rather than eat them.

Oh well.  Just gives my wife another reason to laugh at me.....  :LOL:

I like you.  :-)