FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Kissing the Koran
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
SouthpawLink, I already responded to that today.

Definitin of Islam:

1. A monotheistic religion characterized by the acceptance of the doctrine of submission to God and to Muhammad as the chief and last prophet of God.
a. The people or nations that practice Islam; the Muslim world.
b. The civilization developed by the Muslim world.

So there are three definitions of "Islam" therefore 2 thirds of a chance he meant "John, protect those people". Not there errors. And charity and respect requires us to assume that is what our Pope meant. These explanations are simple if people try to understand their Pope; I am not the only one who can do this.

As for Islamic culture:

EVANGELII PRAECONES
ENCYCLICAL OF POPE PIUS XII
ON PROMOTION OF CATHOLIC MISSIONS

56. Another end remains to be achieved; and We desire that all should fully understand it. The Church from the beginning down to our own time has always followed this wise practice: let not the Gospel on being introduced into any new land destroy or extinguish whatever its people possess that is naturally good, just or beautiful. For the Church, when she calls people to a higher culture and a better way of life, under the inspiration of the Christian religion, does not act like one who recklessly cuts down and uproots a thriving forest. No, she grafts a good scion upon the wild stock that it may bear a crop of more delicious fruit.

57. Although owing to Adam's fall, human nature is tainted with original sin, yet it has in itself something that is naturally Christian[43]; and this, if illumined by divine delight and nourished by God's grace, can eventually be changed into true and supernatural virtue.

58. This is the reason why the Catholic Church has neither scorned nor rejected the pagan philosophies. Instead, after freeing them from error and all contamination she has perfected and completed them by Christian revelation. So likewise the Church has graciously made her own the native art and culture which in some countries is so highly developed. She has carefully encouraged them and has brought them to a point of aesthetic perfection that of themselves they probably would never have attained. By no means has she repressed native customs and traditions but has given them a certain religious significance; she has even transformed their feast days and made them serve to commemorate the martyrs and to celebrate mysteries of the faith. In this connection, St. Basil says very well: "Just as dyers prepare the material to be dyed by certain processes beforehand and only when this has been done do they color it with purple or some other color: likewise if the unfading glory of the just is to be ours for all time we shall first be prepared by these external rites and then we shall master the teachings and mysteries of Faith. When we become accustomed to looking at the reflection of the sun in the water, we shall turn to gaze upon the sun itself. . . Certainly the essential function of a tree is to produce fruit in season; still the foliage that its branches also bear serves to adorn it. In the same way the primary fruit of the soul is truth itself; but the garb of natural culture is a welcome addition, just as leaves provide shade for the fruit and add to its beauty. Thus Moses, a man of the greatest renown for his wisdom, is said to have come to the contemplation of Him, Who is, only after being trained in Egyptian lore. So later the wise Daniel is said to have been first schooled in Babylon in the wisdom of the Chaldeans, and only then to have come to know Divine Revelation."[44]

59. We ourselves made the following statement in the first Encyclical Letter We wrote, Summi Pontificatus: "Persevering research carried out with laborious study, on the part of her missionaries of every age, has been undertaken in order to facilitate the deeper appreciative insight into the various civilizations and to utilize their good qualities to facilitate and render more fruitful the preaching of the Gospel of Christ. Whatever there is in the native customs that is not inseparably bound up with superstition and error will always receive kindly consideration and, when possible, will be preserved intact."[45]

60. And in the discourse which We gave in 1944 to the directors of the Pontifical Missionary Society, We said: "The herald of the Gospel and messenger of Christ is an apostle. His office does not demand that he transplant European civilization and culture, and no other, to foreign soil, there to take root and propagate itself. His task in dealing with these peoples, who sometimes boast of a very old and highly developed culture of their own, is to teach and form them so that they are ready to accept willingly and in a practical manner the principles of Christian life and morality; principles, I might add, that fit into any culture, provided it be good and sound, and which give that culture greater force in safeguarding human dignity and in gaining human happiness. Catholic inhabitants of missionary countries, although they are first of all citizens of the Kingdom of God and members of His great family,[46] do not for all that cease to be citizens of their earthly fatherland."[47]
I don't think it is healthy to debate this any further however. I wanted to give an account for our deceased Pope who is no longer around to defend himself. People haven't been open to my explanations. So I think we should just let this alone
(11-15-2011, 01:42 AM)aquinasg Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think it is healthy to debate this any further however. I wanted to give an account for our deceased Pope who is no longer around to defend himself. People haven't been open to my explanations. So I think we should just let this alone

So you're admitting defeat.
aquinasg while you're at it with your research and quotes from documents, please take the time to read the speech Pope Urban II gave at the Council of Clermont.

I recommend Fulcher of Chartres' version.

:)

Stay Catholic, now, y'hear.
I am willing to discuss it further but people aren't admitting that I presented a sufficient case
The people of Islam already have a name, Muslims, and Pope John Paul II used it only a few sentences earlier in his speech.  I'm sure he knew the difference between the name of the religion and the name of its adherents.
(11-15-2011, 01:46 AM)SouthpawLink Wrote: [ -> ]The people of Islam already have a name, Muslims, and Pope John Paul II used it only a few sentences earlier in his speech.  I'm sure he knew the difference between the name of the religion and the name of its adherents.

For all the criticisms people have for John Paul II, being stupid isn't one of them.
(11-15-2011, 01:45 AM)aquinasg Wrote: [ -> ]I am willing to discuss it further but people aren't admitting that I presented a sufficient case

are you willing to admit to you may not have?
Thanks Arun. There are five different versions of that speech but they are worthy looking over
(11-15-2011, 01:48 AM)aquinasg Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Arun. There are five different versions of that speech but they are worthy looking over

Yep. Although, as I mentioned, Fulcher of Chartres is the one I recommend.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13