FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Kissing the Koran
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(11-13-2011, 11:52 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-13-2011, 11:50 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-13-2011, 11:39 PM)aquinasg Wrote: [ -> ]Resurrexi, it has been treated as having authority however in Church history, right? And it does make sense, in the sense that the Pope stands in the place of Peter and should be respected as if he were Peter. Have you read Vatican I? If says that Peter is still with us

Do you really think St Peter would kiss the Koran?

Eh, he did deny our Lord once.. Maybe a better example?

He died rather than deny . My priest said he would not kiss the Koran. I would piss on it myself. You would kiss it? St Peter would never kiss it. Or St Paul. How about St Francis who called Mohammed "that wicked slave of the devil"?  It is the devils boojk.
(11-14-2011, 12:08 AM)Servire Deo Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-13-2011, 11:13 PM)aquinasg Wrote: [ -> ]When he kissed the Koran, he was merely showing respect for the Muslims present. I remember being on a forum once on which someone from the Middle East said that Christians and Muslims kiss each others holy books as a sign of respect for each other; that's all. It doen't matter if it could have been interpreted as approving of Islam.

It doesn't matter? Really, actions don't matter? "By their fruits you will know them."

Also, no Catholic, especially a Pope, should show any signs of respect for people who worship false religions.

Maybe we shouldn't show respect for false religions, and I'm not even sure I would go that far, but we should certainly show respect for their followers. They might be wrong, but they are still human beings.
(11-14-2011, 12:11 AM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-14-2011, 12:08 AM)Servire Deo Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-13-2011, 11:13 PM)aquinasg Wrote: [ -> ]When he kissed the Koran, he was merely showing respect for the Muslims present. I remember being on a forum once on which someone from the Middle East said that Christians and Muslims kiss each others holy books as a sign of respect for each other; that's all. It doen't matter if it could have been interpreted as approving of Islam.

It doesn't matter? Really, actions don't matter? "By their fruits you will know them."

Also, no Catholic, especially a Pope, should show any signs of respect for people who worship false religions.

Maybe we shouldn't show respect for false religions, and I'm not even sure I would go that far, but we should certainly show respect for their followers. They might be wrong, but they are still human beings.

Not if it involves compromising the Faith. Why are you unsure about not showing respect for false religions?
I wasn't referring to kissing the koran as a "fault". Again, it is a custom from the Middle East which merely shows respect for MUSLIMS. If you don't believe we can respect them, I don't have anything else to say to you
(11-14-2011, 12:53 AM)aquinasg Wrote: [ -> ]I wasn't referring to kissing the koran as a "fault". Again, it is a custom from the Middle East which merely shows respect for MUSLIMS. If you don't believe we can respect them, I don't have anything else to say to you

Respect is earned.

I am willing to show respect to a Muslim man who has shown through his actions that he deserves it, but I would respect him in spite of his religion, not because of it.
He was showing respect for the Muslims who were present; how do you know they didn't deserve it?

"We and you must show in a special way to the other nations an example of this charity, for we believe and confess one God, although in different ways. Many of the Roman nobility, informed by us of this grace granted to you by God, greatly admire your goodness and virtues." [St. Gregory VII, Letter III, 21 to Anazir (Al-Nasir), King of Mauretania PL, 148. 451A.]
(11-14-2011, 01:03 AM)aquinasg Wrote: [ -> ]He was showing respect for the Muslims who were present; how do you know they didn't deserve it?

"We and you must show in a special way to the other nations an example of this charity, for we believe and confess one God, although in different ways. Many of the Roman nobility, informed by us of this grace granted to you by God, greatly admire your goodness and virtues." [St. Gregory VII, Letter III, 21 to Anazir (Al-Nasir), King of Mauretania PL, 148. 451A.]

I'll bet you the shirt on my back that St. Gregory VII didn't kiss the Koran.
(11-14-2011, 01:03 AM)aquinasg Wrote: [ -> ]He was showing respect for the Muslims who were present; how do you know they didn't deserve it?

I'm quite familiar with the letter.

Of course Muslims can practice natural virtues, and of course Muslims--like all monotheists--worship God, though they get many things wrong about Him.
You would be surprised how customs have changed throughout history, and how much they are different between us now. Actions have the meanings we culturally put on them. Why wouldn't he kiss a book if it only meant "thank you" to his Muslim king-friend? The act simply didn't mean "I approve of these contents", so keep that nonsense out of your head
Are you married to a woman named Jayne, by any chance?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13