FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Kissing the Koran
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(11-14-2011, 01:13 AM)aquinasg Wrote: [ -> ]You would be surprised how customs have changed throughout history, and how much they are different between us now. Actions have the meanings we culturally put on them. Why wouldn't he kiss a book if it only meant "thank you" to his Muslim king-friend? The act simply didn't mean "I approve of these contents", so keep that nonsense out of your head

Kissing a religious object was a sign of veneration in Gregory's time as it is now. Kissing the cross and the altar were prescribed by the liturgical books then as they are now.
(11-14-2011, 01:15 AM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-14-2011, 01:13 AM)aquinasg Wrote: [ -> ]You would be surprised how customs have changed throughout history, and how much they are different between us now. Actions have the meanings we culturally put on them. Why wouldn't he kiss a book if it only meant "thank you" to his Muslim king-friend? The act simply didn't mean "I approve of these contents", so keep that nonsense out of your head

Kissing a religious object was a sign of veneration in Gregory's time as it is now. Kissing the cross and the altar were prescribed by the liturgical books then as they are now.

This.
i got something them saracen-lovers can kiss...

(Y)
Greg Rossi
Its a custom in certain Middle Eastern circles for Muslims to kiss the Bible. It is a sign of respect for the othe person in their religious faith. The Bible is in a Christians heart, and the Muslim would be venerating that love the Christian has; that is, showing honor to his good faith, just as Gregory VII did with his friend
If I recall my history correctly, there were some religious taken captive by one of the Muslim rulers.  The brothers were given the option of marrying (and breaking their vows to God), renouncing the Gospels, or kissing the Koran.  They chose neither and were executed. 

It is better to say nothing than to make up absurd, mindbendingly painful excuses for the passionate reception of this book of lies.
(11-14-2011, 01:26 AM)kingtheoden Wrote: [ -> ]If I recall my history correctly, there were some religious taken captive by one of the Muslim rulers.  The brothers were given the option of marrying (and breaking their vows to God), renouncing the Gospels, or kissing the Koran.  They chose neither and were executed. 

It is better to say nothing than to make up absurd, mindbendingly painful excuses for the passionate reception of this book of lies.

This. But I don't think this statement will remove JPII's Teflon coating, as applied by aquinasg.
(11-14-2011, 01:26 AM)aquinasg Wrote: [ -> ]Its a custom in certain Middle Eastern circles for Muslims to kiss the Bible. It is a sign of respect for the othe person in their religious faith.

Evidence.
Kissing the Koran was seen as showing reverence to all the contents of the book. Not so with John Paul II. Eastern Christians see kneeling as a sign of penance, so they stand throughout mass. Are you condemning them for a lack of reverence?
(11-14-2011, 01:26 AM)aquinasg Wrote: [ -> ]Its a custom in certain Middle Eastern circles for Muslims to kiss the Bible. It is a sign of respect for the othe person in their religious faith. The Bible is in a Christians heart, and the Muslim would be venerating that love the Christian has; that is, showing honor to his good faith, just as Gregory VII did with his friend

Just like the respect they show by gracefully allowing the Catholic faith to exist under dhimmitude?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13