FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Bless me Father, I went to an OF Mass!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(from a blog in England, hence the pork pie reference, a recipe for which is in the comments if you click the link.)

Bless me Father, I went to an OF Mass!

Well actually I was early for the EF Mass and so sat at the back at St James's Spanish Place to try and kick my soul into some sort of shape ready for 9.30am and the 'Introibo ad altare dei'.....

The 'new' Mass was about a third of the way through and I tried, very hard to focus on prayer but, the day before had been the Solemn High Mass at Blackfen and the Catholic Guild of Bloggers meeting and I was still high on the memories.

Traditional fare - an extraordinary pork pie!

Also, there were many distractions, people coming and going and then... the priest appeared to be celebrating Mass without any altar servers, none! not even any of the female persuasion.

But - it was celebrated very reverently and the priest (I believe it was the good Fr Colven) just said the Mass and did not get up to any fol-de-rols.

So what did my wandering mind pick up on? Bearing in mind that I only normally attend the EF Mass.

Well, few of those coming or going bothered to genuflect. I cannot understand this lack of respect at all and really feel like grabbing the person by the scruff of the neck and giving them a good shake but I normally say a Hail Mary for them instead; it's more charitable and it's better for my blood pressure.

When the time came for the Pater noster - Our Father, a lot of the congregation started to do aeroplane impressions which I thought was a bit off until I realised that this was a way of praying, not a very discreet way, more a "look at me" way.

Then, at Holy Communion there was a bit of a shambles of folk strolling up hands in pockets (there were one or two, literally) but it all went off pretty well as at an EF.

Now what, you may ask, was I doing watching all that was going on and not praying or preparing for Mass. Well, my excuse is that I decided to take a cool, long look at the OF Mass just to see how it compared with the EF.

It was, of course, an unfair comparison having less than 24 hours previously been transported to heavenly heights by great singing at a great Mass (yes, I know every Mass is great but, it has to be said, some have more elements of greatness about them).

When the Latin Mass began I was surprised to see the Phillipino element in the congregation swell noticeably; was this a result of the unity of the Latin language? ie easier to hear Mass in Latin rather than their second language?

Anyway, still people entered the pews without genuflecting so it's not just a modern Catholic thing, traditionalists are guilty also. The Mass then proceeded as all TLMs do, slowly, reverently and allowing for full reflection and meditation.

So then let me now say that, after this chance of more or less instant comparison, I conclude (without wishing to appear patronising or condescending in any way) that the Ordinary Form of Mass is precisely that, and that is what the Holy Father surely intended when he gave the two forms their designations. There is no insult within the context of 'Ordinary', it is just a plain unvarnished sort of Mass, perfectly reverent within its framework.

The Extraordinary Form is.....well I don't need to spell it out. It is a fuller and more elaborate means of worshipping Almighty God; for me it invokes a greater degree of spirituality (much needed).

So. To compare the two forms of Mass is rather like comparing a pork pie with an orange. Both are food but, in their own way they have a totally different aspect and flavour.

Some people like oranges, but for me, you can't beat a pork pie!

http://linenonthehedgerow.blogspot.com/2...-mass.html

The blogger does a fine job of describing how some of feel about it, myself included. I still attend a very reverent daily OF Mass (some women veil, they use the altar rail and a significant minority not only received on the tongue but kneel) but except for Holy Communion it feels a bit ho-hum, even compared to the plainest low Mass I have attended.

Also, this article made me hungry.
What I cannot understand is, among other things, at the Ordinary Form, why almost all Masses are offered Versus Populem!
This was never called for in SC or in the GIRM, in fact there is a place in the NO Missae rubrics for the priest to turn to the people briefly and say Dominus Vobiscum".
Turn!
Fully implying he offers Mass mostly facing East.
(11-14-2011, 06:01 PM)dan hunter Wrote: [ -> ]What I cannot understand is, among other things, at the Ordinary Form, why almost all Masses are offered Versus Populem!
This was never called for in SC or in the GIRM, in fact there is a place in the NO Missae rubrics for the priest to turn to the people briefly and say Dominus Vobiscum".
Turn!

It's because the New Mass allows and promotes abuses and sacrileges to weaken the Faith of Catholics.  It's not hard to come to that conclusion, but seems quite difficult to accept for many.
(11-14-2011, 06:06 PM)Nic Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-14-2011, 06:01 PM)dan hunter Wrote: [ -> ]What I cannot understand is, among other things, at the Ordinary Form, why almost all Masses are offered Versus Populem!
Turn!

It's because the New Mass allows and promotes abuses and sacrileges to weaken the Faith of Catholics.  It's not hard to come to that conclusion, but seems quite difficult to accept for many.
But exactly where is it written in Church documents such as the GIRM or SC that the priest is allowed to offer Mass versus populem in any stretch of the imagination.
(11-14-2011, 06:09 PM)dan hunter Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-14-2011, 06:06 PM)Nic Wrote: [ -> ]
Turn!

But exactly where is it written in Church documents such as the GIRM or SC that the priest is allowed to offer Mass versus populem in any stretch of the imagination.

Then why do they? - and why are they allowed to do it?  It is because of the faulty foundation of a the New Mass - it is Protestant in nature because it is a cookie-cutter-copy of an already condemned Protestant rite.  This means that the New Mass is also condemned for the same reasons.  Anyway, the abuses are allowed because the whole "Novus Ordo spirit" says "GO FOR IT!"  The promoters of this rite want the envelope to be pushed - this is why today we have everything from "for many," to altar girls, to EEMs, to women lectors, to clown and balloon "Masses," to Communion in the hand and under both kinds, to the replacement of altars with supper tables.  It is all a part of the N.O. attitude, and it is very obviously not Catholic.
Its all ashame.
Thankfully I have access to SSPX Masses twice per month and the Diocesan TLM one Sunday a month and a diocesan TLM on every Wed night offered by a really devout 28 year old who absolves in the Old Rite in Latin the the box.
Selfish of me I know.
The writer seems to believe that if one assists exclusively at the traditional Mass, then such a person is, ipso facto, a traditionalist. This is false. Exclusive assistance at the traditional Mass is necessary, but is insufficient.

The writer himself is no traditionalist, as a traditionalist would never, for example, use novel, Orwellian terminology such as "Ordinary Form" and "Extraordinary Form."
(11-14-2011, 04:58 PM)Richard C Wrote: [ -> ]The blogger does a fine job of describing how some of feel about it, myself included. I still attend a very reverent daily OF Mass (some women veil, they use the altar rail and a significant minority not only received on the tongue but kneel) but except for Holy Communion it feels a bit ho-hum, even compared to the plainest low Mass I have attended.

Also, this article made me hungry.

In my OF parish, as in the OF parish you attend for daily Mass, you would also see women veiling, people receiving on the tongue, people kneeling to receive, at Mass on Sundays and weekdays.  My
favorite time is the Consecration.  You could hear a pin drop during the Consecration.  People are quiet during other parts of the Mass but there's a tangible hush when the priest begins the Consecration. That very holy time is truly precious.

Perhaps you feel that the OF is "a bit ho-hum" because of the music and/or you miss the Latin.  The music at an OF Mass can be wonderful, if the music director and the priest want it to be.  We've had wonderful in our parish and now we've got ho-hum, are hoping for wonderful again in the future.  

Presumably, the music director and priest can choose less than wonderful music for an EF, too.  The music at Mass before Vatican II never impressed me, even at special Masses.  Quite honestly, I don't recall Sunday Mass, even Easter Sunday Mass, before Vatican II being as beautiful, or the sermons as powerful, as some people talk about them being.  Some others who also remember pre-Vatican II Masses have told me that they feel the same way I do, that the pre-Vatican II Masses were nice, not great.

Let me again state my position clearly: I don't favor the OF Mass over the EF Mass.  I simply have only one choice if I'm to assist at Mass at all and that is the OF Mass.

Nostalgia makes things better in memory than they really were for a lot of people.  That can be a good thing, to have happy memories, unless the exaggerated memories are used to scold people when they don't deserve it.  Some Catholics like to chastise others for not dressing well enough for Sunday Mass and exaggerated memories often spur them into this scolding mode.  

People did not dress as well for Mass "in the good old days" as some remember it, though of course there would have been churches were people dressed better than in other churches, and that simply related to the income level of the neighborhood where a church was located.  

In the early-mid-1960s, I was transitioning away from the Protestantism of my family so I remember very clearly that, in that time period, Protestants dressed better for church than Catholics did, and I'm comparing people from the same neighborhoods and income levels.  Protestant men would wear their coats and ties in the hottest weather with no air conditioning in their churches while Catholics would do the sensible thing and wear short-sleeved shirts, no jackets or ties.  One reason Catholic churches were hotter is that there were more people in them at every Mass.  I think Catholics were dressing sensibly for the situation.  Sweating like a pig is no way to honor God!  

But some Catholics, adults as well as children, wore shorts to church and even bathing suits under their casual clothes.  No doubt they were tourists -- this was when I lived on the coast -- and knew they wouldn't see anyone they knew at Mass but they were seeing God and receiving Jesus in Communion.  It didn't turn me against the Faith, obviously, I just wondered if those people had really thought about what they were doing, about Who they were going to see there.

I didn't become Catholic because of the smells and bells, the vestments, the beautiful churches, though I enjoy the beauty of old, traditional churches.  But the Catholic churches I attended before Vatican II were sadly lacking in beauty, were fairly new and Protestant-looking.  They had crucifixes and statues but I'd attended far more beautiful Episcopal churches with my grandmother, who was raised an Anglican in England, then an Episcopalian here.  As I got older, I also attended Episcopal churches on my own.  

Episcopalians still have altar rails, at which they kneel to receive Communion on the tongue (and then from "the common cup" if they choose to.)  If I'd chosen on beauty alone, I'd certainly have become an Episcopalian.

In 1964-65, I was attending an Episcopal church and was in the confirmation class and Episcopal Young Churchmen. I didn't intend to be confirmed that year but was seriously considering it for the next year. I already knew a lot about the Catholic Faith through my readings and was also considering going to a priest for instruction, as that is how it was done back then when adults entered the Church.  Becoming Catholic when you were not marrying a Catholic was unheard of in those days so I procrastinated and years went by.

But I've been Catholic many years now and am glad I waited until I felt sure it was about the teachings of the Catholic Faith, not about the beauty of my parish church.  I do not find it difficult to hold traditional Catholic beliefs and assist only at the Ordinary Form Mass.  If the Exraordinary Form Mass becomes available to me, I'll gladly assist at it, of course.

Sorry the pork pie made you hungry -- it just came with the essay!