FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: "OF" "EF" Terminology
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Go ahead and weigh in.
I don't know how to vote.  I'd say I accept it, but I never actually call them that, if only because those terms are less clear, particularly to people who don't follow such things very closely.
Neither of the above.

I am a creature of habit.  I am also interested in being understood.  I say "Latin Mass" and "Novus Ordo," because a) I've been doing it forever, and b) because people know what I'm talking about.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it -- isn't that the critical part of being trad, anyway?
Depends who I am talking to. Sometimes you have to speak the other person's language. But the terminology is utterly unCatholic as is the particular circumstances concerning the Roman Rite of Mass..
I don't like the options. I use the terminology when it suits the conversation, but I rarely do among people who are already on board with the TLM.

So yes and no, but for neither of the reasons you give.
(11-15-2011, 05:14 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]I don't like the options. I use the terminology when it suits the conversation, but I rarely do among people who are already on board with the TLM.

So yes and no, but for neither of the reasons you give.

This
It appears that some adopt a kind of situational ethic regarding the use of this terminology. Interesting.
I've never seemed to meet anyone in real life who know what Ordinary and Extraordinary form are.  *shrug*
(11-15-2011, 05:28 PM)Jackson K. Eskew Wrote: [ -> ]It appears that some adopt a kind of situational ethic regarding the use of this terminology. Interesting.

It really goes to the heart of the traditional Catholic battlefield:

Are you slaying windmills or are you trying to convert hearts to Jesus? Keep your windmills. Polemical battles don't do anyone any good.
When in Assisi, I call it the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite.

When on FE, I call it the TLM.

When chatting with Jackson, I call it the One, Holy, Roman, Immaculate, Immemorial, Take-It-Or-Leave-It, Consecration-Of-Russia Mass.

When chatting with Voris, I whisper and look around, lest Jackson come and get us.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5