FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Baptizing children without without their parent's permission?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
The poll doesn't specify that the child is in danger of death so I voted neither.
1983:

Can.  868
§2. An infant of Catholic parents or even of non-Catholic parents is baptized licitly in danger of death even against the will of the parents.
You cannot baptise a child under the age of reason against the parents' will, the same way you can't baptise anyone against his or her will.

If, however, the said child were dying and you were a position were you could baptise him (or her), then I believe it would be licit and laudable.
Must Holy Water be poured or can it be squirted out of a bottle?
(11-16-2011, 12:58 PM)Servire Deo Wrote: [ -> ]Must Holy Water be poured or can it be squirted out of a bottle?

As long as it runs over the child's forehead, I don't think it matters.  What happens if you're pouring it but someone runs into you and you end up instead kind of throwing it over the childs face? 
I think I made a big mistake years ago.
I was aquainted with a  former Catholic woman who had fallen away from the Faith and had had never baptised her son who was 6 at the time.
I took it ignorantly upon myself to baptise him thinking I was doing something good.
I now know  better and have since confessed this in confession.
I do not know where the family lives at this point.
Is there anything further I should do in this matter?
Thank you.
(11-16-2011, 12:58 PM)Servire Deo Wrote: [ -> ]Must Holy Water be poured or can it be squirted out of a bottle?

It should be poured.

Squirting it out of the bottle directy into the child's forehead does not keep with the dignity of the sacrament.
(11-16-2011, 01:07 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]

It should be poured.

Squirting it out of the bottle directy into the child's forehead does not keep with the dignity of the sacrament.

Can I use a Dixie cup?
(11-16-2011, 01:24 PM)Servire Deo Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-16-2011, 01:07 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]

It should be poured.

Can I use a Dixie cup?

If that's all you have, it does not affect validity.  Obviously you would choose the most vessel you can.
(11-16-2011, 01:00 PM)dan hunter Wrote: [ -> ]I think I made a big mistake years ago.
I was aquainted with a  former Catholic woman who had fallen away from the Faith and had had never baptised her son who was 6 at the time.
I took it ignorantly upon myself to baptise him thinking I was doing something good.
I now know  better and have since confessed this in confession.
I do not know where the family lives at this point.
Is there anything further I should do in this matter?
Thank you.

No, you confessed. You're fine if you are truly sorry. Now you know. I would inform them if/when you meet them again.

Immersion, pouring, or sprinkling. Water needs to run. Any catechism worth its salt will tell you all the parameters of an extraordinary baptism.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14