FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Has Anyone Heard About This?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was surfing the net earlier, and I came across this:

In a few weeks, the Church in the U.S. will switch over to a new translation of the Mass and with it will issue a new translation of the General Instruction of the Roman Missal. Number 160 of the GIRM covers the posture of the communicant to receive Communion and will state, in part:

"The norm established for the dioceses of the United States of America is that holy Communion is to be received standing, unless an individual member of the faithful wishes to receive Communion while kneeling."

from here: http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=613244.

I'd rather not discuss the rest of the statement. ;) My question is: has anyone else come across this? I only resumed Mass attendance last week after a long absence, so I've been out of the loop while this new translation was discussed at the parish level. This seems to get rid of the whole "private correction" or whatever it's called for people who kneel to receive. But is there any likelihood that priests will accept what's in the new GIRM when it's so different from the way it was before? I'm pretty sure that if I were able to go back to my old parish, and tried to kneel for Communion, it would not go over well. So I'm nervous about the idea. I don't want to cause a stir or appear confrontational, but I would like to kneel for Communion if the rubrics explicitly state that I can.
What make people even think of standing for communion?????
Is it because the don't believe in the real presence?
Or because they think God is our friend? Jesus is our brother?
(11-16-2011, 03:56 AM)pbmsemwa Wrote: [ -> ]What make people even think of standing for communion?????

Because they are told to do so, and, in the case of young people, because it is all they know.

When I went to the NO, I stood because it was what everyone did -- it was how I was taught at first communion.  I didn't even know that people had knelt.
my question is the motive/reasons behind the bishops decision in the US for suggesting standing for communion as the norm?
(11-16-2011, 03:56 AM)pbmsemwa Wrote: [ -> ]What make people even think of standing for communion?????

The following is paraphrasing of an explanation I was once given:

We recieve standing because VII taught us that Christ is our Lord but as a human our equal and thus we must stand side by side with him. When we kneel we act subservient, which is not what Christ taught us to be in relation to Him. Furthermore, in standing we also recognize that we aren't little children but adults who deserve respect too.

Don't shoot the messenger, and I don't think it is necessary for my to go into why the above is disgraceful and stupid. I am just relaying what I have heard.
I have never stood to recieve the Blessed Sacrament, in my whole life [45 years]
Nor recieved Him in my hand once.
(11-16-2011, 10:56 AM)SPB Wrote: [ -> ]

The following is paraphrasing of an explanation I was once given:

We recieve standing because VII taught us that Christ is our Lord but as a human our equal and thus we must stand side by side with him. When we kneel we act subservient, which is not what Christ taught us to be in relation to Him. Furthermore, in standing we also recognize that we aren't little children but adults who deserve respect too.

Don't shoot the messenger, and I don't think it is necessary for my to go into why the above is disgraceful and stupid. I am just relaying what I have heard.
Phillipians 2:10

"10 That in the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those that are in heaven, on earth, and under the earth: 11 And that every tongue should confess that the Lord Jesus Christ is in the glory of God the Father."

If at only His name we should kneel, how much more we should kneel at His substantial Presence.

I stand for the Consecration and Communion when at an Eastern Rite Divine Liturgy, and feel just as respectful doing so as I do to kneel in the Latin Rite.  I can't say that I know or understand why they changed the norm in the Latin Rite to standing, but there isn't anything inherently disrespectful about it, unless it is done for the wrong reasons. (e.g. the one SPB mentioned above)

As for the original post, I have been aware of that change in the G.I.R.M. for a while, and have been anxiously awaiting it!  I have been asked at multiple parishes not to kneel, and have deferred to them heretofore . . . but now that it will be stated explicitly that it is legitimate to receive kneeling, I plan to do so. :)

*sits back and waits for his FishFactor to be decreased for the comment about standing*  :afraidsmiley:
(11-16-2011, 12:25 PM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]

I stand for the Consecration and Communion when at an Eastern Rite Divine Liturgy, and feel just as respectful doing so as I do to kneel in the Latin Rite.  I can't say that I know or understand why they changed the norm in the Latin Rite to standing, but there isn't anything inherently disrespectful about it, unless it is done for the wrong reasons. (e.g. the one SPB mentioned above)

As for the original post, I have been aware of that change in the G.I.R.M. for a while, and have been anxiously awaiting it!  I have been asked at multiple parishes not to kneel, and have deferred to them heretofore . . . but now that it will be stated explicitly that it is legitimate to receive kneeling, I plan to do so. :)

*sits back and waits for his FishFactor to be decreased for the comment about standing*  :afraidsmiley:
I have been to several Divine Liturgys at the Byzantine Catholic Church here and cannot stand to receive God.
If I were to stand then Fr could not reach my mouth with the spoon.
Many men who are over 5'10' or so have to kneel to recieve.
Only the shorter people can stand.
I know this is a matter of practical need, but the fact remains that almost all the men kneel, or crouch very low to recieve.

This crouching does look very odd and is very uncomfortable.
I suppose if Fr was standing on a higher rise this would not be a problem.
[quote='Deidre' pid='920133' dateline='1321429191']
I was surfing the net earlier, and I came across this:

In a few weeks, the Church in the U.S. will switch over to a new translation of the Mass and with it will issue a new translation of the General Instruction of the Roman Missal. Number 160 of the GIRM covers the posture of the communicant to receive Communion and will state, in part:

"The norm established for the dioceses of the United States of America is that holy Communion is to be received standing, unless an individual member of the faithful wishes to receive Communion while kneeling."

from here: http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=613244.

I'd rather not discuss the rest of the statement. ;) My question is: has anyone else come across this? I only resumed Mass attendance last week after a long absence, so I've been out of the loop while this new translation was discussed at the parish level. This seems to get rid of the whole "private correction" or whatever it's called for people who kneel to receive. But is there any likelihood that priests will accept what's in the new GIRM when it's so different from the way it was before? I'm pretty sure that if I were able to go back to my old parish, and tried to kneel for Communion, it would not go over well. So I'm nervous about the idea. I don't want to cause a stir or appear confrontational, but I would like to kneel for Communion if the rubrics explicitly state that I can.
[/

I don't attend the NO  I attend the Latin mass.  The priest will not give communion to one who is standing.
Pages: 1 2