FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Materialism obsessed - what happens when the economy collapses?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

###Note: comments section may be inappropriate for some viewers.
Good. She's getting a needed dose of reality. If it makes her feel any better, Denny's will go bankrupt this year, so she won't have to work there.

"Materialistically...no Mercedes...I drive a Nissan...two kids is a lot...without a housekeeper" She has the attitude of a spoiled brat.

I feel bad about her husband committing adultery against her and abandoning his family. One can't control the economy but one can keep his pants on.

Now that he's gone, she's living in Garden Grove or what I like to call it, Garbage Grove. Mean streets, they are. The city had to roadblock some residential streets due to drug dealing.
I could go on a rant about the woman speaking in the video, but I won't.  To answer the question in the thread title though, unfortunately many people who really have to "downgrade" when the real collapse occurs will simply commit suicide.  When mammon is your god, and your god abandons you, hope is gone and despair will reign.
I bet if her husband wasn't sleeping around, her outlook would be a lot different. When your spouse rejects you, it's hard to cope with anything and have perspective. At least that is how I would feel.
(11-17-2011, 12:53 AM)verenaerin Wrote: [ -> ]I bet if her husband wasn't sleeping around, her outlook would be a lot different. When your spouse rejects you, it's hard to cope with anything and have perspective. At least that is how I would feel.

Yes. It's easier to go through tough times when you have someone by your side going through the same thing
I am not so sure about that verenaerin.  Sounded to me more like she was hanging on to her spouse just for the money, despite his infidelity.  I will bet that if some rich fellow came along to "sweep her off her feet" she would go in a second.
(11-17-2011, 01:06 AM)Anthem Wrote: [ -> ]I am not so sure about that verenaerin.  Sounded to me more like she was hanging on to her spouse just for the money, despite his infidelity.  I will bet that if some rich fellow came along to "sweep her off her feet" she would go in a second.

That's possible. But her situation is not unique. Women staying with bad husbands because they can't t provide for their kids or themselves is as old as adultery. In fact, that is an argument some make against women in the workforce. In the sense that you have to work together as a couple to survive, there isn't any other option, therefore, most marriages stayed together in the past. (Obviously just one factor).

Poor kids. What a sad home life for them.
Servire Deo Wrote:Yes. It's easier to go through tough times when you have someone by your side going through the same thing

The only problem with your analysis is that she is not going through tough times, at least not yet.  She has no job, no interest in looking for one apparently, but still has a comfortable apartment and a vehicle.  She seems to be dressed well, obviously not starving.  Driving a Nissan rather than a Mercedes is not "tough times".  I drive a damn Nissan!  With a broken window, and some rust, no less.  Being on foot and having to beg for food, that's tough.  The "poor" in this country have it better than the vast majority of the world's population.  This woman deserves no sympathy, save for the fact of the infidelity.  And even that -- one wonders about the basis of her relationship with her husband.  Was it merely predicated for her on his financial status?  Seems to me the remainder of her values derive from money.
(11-17-2011, 01:06 AM)Anthem Wrote: [ -> ]I am not so sure about that verenaerin.  Sounded to me more like she was hanging on to her spouse just for the money, despite his infidelity.  I will bet that if some rich fellow came along to "sweep her off her feet" she would go in a second.

I would. You gotta do what you gotta do to provide for your kids.

(11-17-2011, 01:17 AM)Anthem Wrote: [ -> ]
Servire Deo Wrote:Yes. It's easier to go through tough times when you have someone by your side going through the same thing

The only problem with your analysis is that she is not going through tough times, at least not yet.  She has no job, no interest in looking for one apparently, but still has a comfortable apartment and a vehicle.  She seems to be dressed well, obviously not starving.  Driving a Nissan rather than a Mercedes is not "tough times".  I drive a damn Nissan!  With a broken window, and some rust, no less.  Being on foot and having to beg for food, that's tough.  The "poor" in this country have it better than the vast majority of the world's population.  This woman deserves no sympathy, save for the fact of the infidelity.  And even that -- one wonders about the basis of her relationship with her husband.  Was it merely predicated for her on his financial status?  Seems to me the remainder of her values derive from money.

I don't know why you automatically assume that she was a gold digger. We don't know about how the relationship started.
verenaerin Wrote:Women staying with bad husbands because they can't t provide for their kids or themselves is as old as adultery. In fact, that is an argument some make against women in the workforce. In the sense that you have to work together as a couple to survive, there isn't any other option, therefore, most marriages stayed together in the past.

Ah, I see.  She's fine, but he's "bad".  Yep, he is committing adultery.  I wonder if she is too?  I am sure she would admit that.  Men do not always commit adultery just because they are men.  Sometimes there is something deeper going on.  Not defending adultery for either spouse, just saying that adultery can be a symptom of something besides a "bad husband".  Paul Newman said, "Why go out for hamburger when you get steak at home?"  Maybe there wasn't much steak at home.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6