FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Quote on devotion to the blessed Virgin from Hilary of Poitiers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
“No matter how sinful one may have been, if he has devotion to Mary, it is impossible that he be lost."

To think that a holy bishop, father, and doctor of the Church said this in the third century is simply mind-boggling. Can anyone find a source for this quote? It is scattered all over the internet and in some F.S.S.P. sermons. I'd really like to know exactly where Hilary wrote such a thing, since hearsay is somewhat out of the question for so ancient a saint.

:) Happy and Blessed Sunday.
I've seen it in St. Alphonsus Liguori's book "Glories of Mary" (Chapter or Discourse VIII). I have seen it presented two ways in different editions. One with the quote translated in the body of the work, but no cite, and one with  the Latin in a footnote with a cite:

"And this will still be the case, St. Hilary observes, even should the person during the past time have greatly offended God.  "However great a sinner he may have been," says the saint, "if he shows himself devout to Mary, he will never perish" ("Quantumcumque quis fuerit peccator, si Mariae devotus exstiterit, nunquam in aeternum peribit)."
--------
"Even when, St. Hilary says, they have hitherto greatly offended God.* "
* Quantumcumque quis fuerit peccator, si Mariae devotus exstiterit, nunquam in aeternum peribit. Cant. 12, in Matt.
-------

So,all you have to do is find out which work of St. Hilary is referred to by "Cant. 12, in Matt." I'm guessing it refers to his Commentary on Matthew, but I'm not sure.

Interesting. I've a 1930 copy of "The Glories of Mary" edited by Rev Eugene Grimm.  It has the footnotes in both Latin and English. It, unlike the TAN version of the first part (i.e. 'The Hail Holy Queen'), includes "Examples" of Marian devotion, piety, practises, and miracles wrought in the lives of the saints. For such reason, I am very much enamoured and well-pleased with it.