FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Good Lord now I remember why I go to the Traditional Latin Mass on Sundays!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Unfortunately there is no Latin Mass within 6 hours of here on Holy Days of Obligation (I drive an hour and a half to go to Latin Mass on Sundays) but now I remember why I don't go to these Novus Ordo Masses. >sad

Well first of all when I came to the front of the church I noticed I was the only one to bow and make the Sign of the Cross while others just stomped on inside. Once I got to the inside of the church the front of it sounded like some kind of theatre or social meeting because it was so loud with everyone talking. When I did look around the church looked like some college classroom or Presbyterian Church. Not only that but a few folks from the RCIA (ugh don't ask LOL) started trying to ask me a million questions when I was trying to be silent and contemplative and then got angry at me for not talking to them. When the Mass finally did start there was of course no Latin, no Confiteor, no Roman Canon, etc. During the homily the priest spoke of how Protestants also revere the Virgin Mary and how we can agree on certain things (this must be the new ecumenism supported by the Second Vatican Council) and even worse the people besides me were sleeping through it! During the 'Sign of Peace' I got wierd looks and someone actually grabbed my hand and shook it! During Communion of course I was the only one who knelt down and received communion on the tongue, again getting wierd looks. Finally during the end we had the Concluding Hymn or should I say 'Scattering Hymn' since Heaven forbid if you want to kneel and pray or people will run over you trying to get out of the church. I am reminded of what Pope Paul VI said, "The smoke of Hell has entered the vestibule of the Church," since I agree! Shocked
Protestants revere the Virgin Mary?  My Protestant relatives, in my entire life,  have yet to send a Christmas card with the nativity scene on it.  They can't stand seeing her.  They'll send cards with the three wise men, or angels, or shepherds, or secular cards, but never, never, never will they send a card that has the nativity scene.  That priest must know some protestants that I don't know!  LOL
(12-08-2011, 02:49 PM)The Curt Jester Wrote: [ -> ]Protestants revere the Virgin Mary?  My Protestant relatives, in my entire life,  have yet to send a Christmas card with the nativity scene on it.   They can't stand seeing her.  They'll send cards with the three wise men, or angels, or shepherds, or secular cards, but never, never, never will they send a card that has the nativity scene.   That priest must know some protestants that I don't know!   LOL
As I said must be that new ecumenism promoted by the Second Vatican Council. Grin I am also surprised that it seems that there are more older folks at these Novus Ordo Masses while the younger folks try to look for Traditional Latin Masses.
Fight the good fight!

Caoimhín
My Low Mass today was attended by around 12 people. Around 4 of us were under 30. An older man gave me his contact details [he had seen my in all the parishes in the area that offer the TLM] and told me he'd give me a lift whenever he goes, he already gives a few other people lifts. Absolutely fantastic. Encouraging.

Sorry, not related to your thread but... seemed appropriate.
OP:

Friend, you should not be so focused on what is expected, proper, or accidental. If you are able to charitably whisper to people and communicate that way while being silent in the love of your heart, why should you refuse to talk to those poor RCIA catechumens, who are probably already confused? Being shunned by an apparently irked-looking person probably won't help them in their adventure. Let those who worship Christ truly worship Him, but why should we endlessly be scandalised by those who don't bow, or make the cross as the enter, let alone when they pass holy water or genuflect?

We may be rightfully angry at ignorance and bad catechesis, oh yes! We may not exercise anger rightly when it comes to thinking we're being true, proper, or better Catholics because we make the motions. The Pharisees always made the proper motions and observed the exact fasts. Were they holy or the better for it?

Bulldoze that church you were in, though, and build somethin' beautiful. Smile
(12-08-2011, 02:45 PM)Traditional Guy Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately there is no Latin Mass within 6 hours of here on Holy Days of Obligation (I drive an hour and a half to go to Latin Mass on Sundays) but now I remember why I don't go to these Novus Ordo Masses. >sad

Well first of all when I came to the front of the church I noticed I was the only one to bow and make the Sign of the Cross while others just stomped on inside. Once I got to the inside of the church the front of it sounded like some kind of theatre or social meeting because it was so loud with everyone talking. When I did look around the church looked like some college classroom or Presbyterian Church. Not only that but a few folks from the RCIA (ugh don't ask LOL) started trying to ask me a million questions when I was trying to be silent and contemplative and then got angry at me for not talking to them. When the Mass finally did start there was of course no Latin, no Confiteor, no Roman Canon, etc. During the homily the priest spoke of how Protestants also revere the Virgin Mary and how we can agree on certain things (this must be the new ecumenism supported by the Second Vatican Council) and even worse the people besides me were sleeping through it! During the 'Sign of Peace' I got wierd looks and someone actually grabbed my hand and shook it! During Communion of course I was the only one who knelt down and received communion on the tongue, again getting wierd looks. Finally during the end we had the Concluding Hymn or should I say 'Scattering Hymn' since Heaven forbid if you want to kneel and pray or people will run over you trying to get out of the church. I am reminded of what Pope Paul VI said, "The smoke of Hell has entered the vestibule of the Church," since I agree! Shocked

Sounds like the local N.O church here, although the one 20 miles away is much more reverent.
(12-08-2011, 02:45 PM)Traditional Guy Wrote: [ -> ]Well first of all when I came to the front of the church I noticed I was the only one to bow and make the Sign of the Cross while others just stomped on inside.

Wait... we're supposed to bow and make the Sign of the Cross outside of the church?  I've never seen anyone do that.  I've been with Catholics who cross themselves when driving by a Catholic church but I've never seen anyone make any sign of reverence until they are actually in the building.

Quote:Not only that but a few folks from the RCIA (ugh don't ask LOL) started trying to ask me a million questions when I was trying to be silent and contemplative and then got angry at me for not talking to them.

You mean you literally ignored them?  I understand your annoyance at the chit-chatty atmosphere at some churches but I think it's far more uncharitable to ignore a direct question.  It's okay to talk in the presence of Christ.  His friends did it when He lived among them.

Quote:... and even worse the people besides me were sleeping through it!

It surprises me that folks who would go out of their way to attend Mass on a Thursday in order to fulfill a spiritual obligation would then fall asleep.  Maybe they had worked a hard third shift.

Quote:During the 'Sign of Peace' I got weird looks...

Why?  What were you doing??

Quote:... and someone actually grabbed my hand and shook it!

No!  Not during the Sign of Peace!

Quote:During Communion of course I was the only one who knelt down and received communion on the tongue, again getting wierd looks.

I feel for you there but you gotta know going in that a posture outside of the norm will draw some notice.

Quote: I am reminded of what Pope Paul VI said, "The smoke of Hell has entered the vestibule of the Church," since I agree! Shocked

You wore your Judgy McJudgerson hat today, though I am sympathetic.  I used to visit my mother-in-law's enormous NO parish on holidays and I would leave full of Christmas Rage.  The only way that I could avoid the sin of self-righteousness was never to go there again.
At least you showed Our Lady how much you love her by attending Mass

Today I went to a noon mass where the priest ALWAYS ad libs one of the collects and says "thanks" whenever we say " and with your spirit"

amongst the other annoying things he does he DOES NOT read from the roman missal as he should be doing

It's every where but as I said in the beginning you attended Mass on the holy day good for you Smile
(12-08-2011, 02:45 PM)Traditional Guy Wrote: [ -> ]Not only that but a few folks from the RCIA (ugh don't ask LOL) started trying to ask me a million questions when I was trying to be silent and contemplative and then got angry at me for not talking to them.

Personally, I think you missed a great chance to "teach" them something. You could have told them that you would have been happy to chat with them after Mass and then given the reasons for your silence (after Mass). It sounds like no one's talked to them about sacred silence and since everyone else was talking around them, they may think it's normal behavior.

Just an opinion of course.
Pages: 1 2