FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Good to see
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
That Virgen de Guadalupe is trending on Twitter! A small victory for Catholicism and in this world, I will take the small victories!

When will it end?

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-vi...3845.story

Mass was celebrated at 5 a.m. with Archbishop Jose H. Gomez.
Aztec dancers performed special traditional dances in honor of the Virgin during the liturgy.

They will also perform in the Cathedral Plaza throughout the day.

New Springtime, don'tcha know?
Awesome, yes, let's have a performance representing a culture where peoples hearts were cut out of their living bodies to be sacrificed to a bloody god, and then the bodies were tossed down to the people to be eaten. Yes, this is a great thing to have in a Catholic church. 9.9
Par for the course as far as the new religion is concerned.
That's sort of the reason why I didn't go to Mass tonight. 

I wish there was a TLM Parish here  sad  I wouldn't have to do this.

blahblahblah  I'll keep praying  Pray
(12-12-2011, 07:57 PM)knittycat Wrote: [ -> ]Awesome, yes, let's have a performance representing a culture where peoples hearts were cut out of their living bodies to be sacrificed to a bloody god, and then the bodies were tossed down to the people to be eaten. Yes, this is a great thing to have in a Catholic church. 9.9

It's a dance for kings and queens. There's absolutely nothing wrong with adapting certain parts of cultures to venerate Our Lady.  Besides, she appeared to Juan Diego, an Indian. You would not have expected his traditions to have become like the Spanish after his conversion, right?
Of course I don't agree with it taking place inside a Church, but t takes place all the time outside Mexican Churches. Even our SSPX Church last year had them in the school playground after Mass to celebrate the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
Juan Diego wasn't even an Aztec. He was a member of a suppressed tribe.
Also http://wdtprs.com/blog/2011/12/quaeritur...offertory/

Quote:From a reader:

On the fest of Our Lady of Guadeloupe the local parish here had Aztec
    liturgical dancing during the offertory. Everything else was fine, but this seemed a bit off.

It opened with the dancers running to the altar accompanied by a
    excruciatingly loud beating of the drums. [So far so good.] They then proceeded to present the gifts, while dancing around the altar as the priest celebrant prepared it.

We had few questions about the rubrics that might allow for something like this. On an almost petty note, should the Aztec dancers present the gifts before or after the priest incense the altar?

On a more serious note, is it acceptable to have clearly non-Catholic images on the cultural costumes and drum?

I assume that these things are not in line with the will of the current Roman Pontiff, but we were wondering if this should be raised to the attention of our bishop or perhaps the CDW?

I’ve linked to some of the better photos that you can use if you want.
    They should also give you an idea of what we were talking about.

[...]

I think I get the general idea.  I wonder if the CDW has enough of these photos yet.

Perhaps you should send them in, asking for the clarification about the incense.

My sense about the incense is that the priest is to incense the altar after the Aztec dancers present their gifts.  I understand that the gifts may be carried in also to the accompaniment of special ordination tambourines.

However, if any of the victim are sneezing because of the smoke, or are otherwise manifesting their resentment loudly enough to be heard over the beating of the drums (which is why the drums are important, by the way!), it may be necessary to act as an Extraordinary Minister of Blows to the Head … ad hoc, as it were.  I think there is a blessing and commissioning for EMBH, though normally the local bishop has to certify EMBH’s for Aztec rituals during Mass.

If you are going to “EM”, do it right!

Quote:On a more serious note, is it acceptable to have clearly non-Catholic images on the cultural costumes and drum?

Seriously, I don’t think there is any problem with ethnic or indigenous garb for people who are “bringing up the gifts”, so long as it is decent and modest and doesn’t have elements that are contrary to our Christian Faith

Emphasis mine.
(12-13-2011, 08:46 PM)knittycat Wrote: [ -> ]Juan Diego wasn't even an Aztec. He was a member of a suppressed tribe.

Please quote me saying he was an Aztec. I only said he was an Indian.
Pages: 1 2