FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: SSPX
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I don't know of this goes on in other countries but here in the USA I notice that the SSPX has a lot of locations in rural areas.

Post Falls, St Mary"s KS and Roswell GA is an example.

If it is a US phenomenon can someone explain to me the roots of this tendency?

Wouldn't it be better to be situated in populated cities and or their suburbs to evangelize instead of giving a bunker mentality of going to rural areas and making a stand there.
I believe this is a reflection of Bishop Williamson's idea that trads should take back the land and setup traditional communities.
(12-16-2011, 05:10 PM)love alabama Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know of this goes on in other countries but here in the USA I notice that the SSPX has a lot of locations in rural areas.

If it is a US phenomenon can someone explain to me the roots of this tendency?

Wouldn't it be better to be situated in populated cities and or their suburbs to evangelize instead of giving a bunker mentality of going to rural areas and making a stand there.
Perhaps because real estate is more expensive in urban areas and the SSPX, in the US, typically buy old Prot buildings or build their own chapel on land donated to them or inexpensive rural property.
Diocese's tend not to sell the SSPX old unused churches in urban areas, at least in the US.
(12-16-2011, 05:14 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]I believe this is a reflection of Bishop Williamson's idea that trads should take back the land and setup traditional communities.
Well, that apparently has not worked out so well.
Most SSPX Mass centres are located very far away from most of the attendees.
In my state there are three chapels and the faithful drive upwards of 3 hrs one way to get there.
There is no communty set up around them.
St Marys and a few others are an exception.
(12-16-2011, 05:10 PM)love alabama Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know of this goes on in other countries but here in the USA I notice that the SSPX has a lot of locations in rural areas.

I didn't know that the SSPX were in Roswell. What a great town. I visited Roswell a few months ago and saw several lovely Antebellum plantation houses. There's also a nice little hub of excellent restaurants and art galleries.
You seem to have picked the most rural locations as examples for your argument. Sure real estate can be an issue, but the SSPX is in NY, TX, and Kansas City. Can't speak to the other locations, but Post Falls is pretty easy to explain as far as its location and size.

The SSPX was a late-comer to the Traditional Movement in the USA - most Latin masses were offered by an independent priest who left the corruption of his diocese. The Latin mass was completely suppressed in the USA, and little has changed since the indult was originally granted. In the early '80s the SSPX was pretty strong on in east (NY, OH, MN, TX), but had little presence further west. The CMRI was founded in the diocese of Boise and had a really strong presence in the Spokane WA (20 min to Post Falls). The CMRI had some troubles in the late '70s and early '80s culminating in the expulsion of one of its co-founders for subversive behavior. A lot of people from the CMRI started looking for other Latin Mass options. Some mis-guided people followed the outed subversive co-founder; some misguided people liked how that outed person had run things (controlling/cultish) and therefore couldn't stand the reforming of the CMRI led by Fr Dennis Chicoine - some of those ended up at the Post Falls church; still others were disenchanted by the whole mess and wanted something different - they either left Catholicism entirely or went to the SSPX.

The Post Falls church population grew fastest in the beginning for the reasons noted above. My parents were one of those who went to Post Falls when the SSPX had a tiny church and only needed one mass (and only one priest) on Sunday. Sadly a lot of the people who had been problems for the CMRI (touting overly rigorous control of other people) quickly became problems for the SSPX. My parents ended up returning to the CMRI after several years in Post Falls because the SSPX was starting to exhibit the cultish behavior they had seen in the their past, whereas the CMRI had cleaned house.

We started going to Post Falls around 1984. The split between the SSPX and the SSPV, had shaken things up a bit, but Archbishop Lefebvre was still alive so the SSPX garnered a lot of confidence. The consecrations in '88 shook things up more, especially since the FSSP was then formed. If you want my opinion, I think the SSPX has gone downhill since Archbishop Lefebvre died - too much willingness to negotiate and compromise. Lefebvre had backbone, and he showed it when he condemned Assisi and consecrated bishops for the survival of the Church.
(12-16-2011, 05:45 PM)Verum Dulces Wrote: [ -> ]You seem to have picked the most rural locations as examples for your argument. Sure real estate can be an issue, but the SSPX is in NY, TX, and Kansas City. Can't speak to the other locations, but Post Falls is pretty easy to explain as far as its location and size.

The SSPX was a late-comer to the Traditional Movement in the USA - most Latin masses were offered by an independent priest who left the corruption of his diocese. The Latin mass was completely suppressed in the USA, and little has changed since the indult was originally granted. In the early '80s the SSPX was pretty strong on in east (NY, OH, MN, TX), but had little presence further west. The CMRI was founded in the diocese of Boise and had a really strong presence in the Spokane WA (20 min to Post Falls). The CMRI had some troubles in the late '70s and early '80s culminating in the expulsion of one of its co-founders for subversive behavior. A lot of people from the CMRI started looking for other Latin Mass options. Some mis-guided people followed the outed subversive co-founder; some misguided people liked how that outed person had run things (controlling/cultish) and therefore couldn't stand the reforming of the CMRI led by Fr Dennis Chicoine - some of those ended up at the Post Falls church; still others were disenchanted by the whole mess and wanted something different - they either left Catholicism entirely or went to the SSPX.

The Post Falls church population grew fastest in the beginning for the reasons noted above. My parents were one of those who went to Post Falls when the SSPX had a tiny church and only needed one mass (and only one priest) on Sunday. Sadly a lot of the people who had been problems for the CMRI (touting overly rigorous control of other people) quickly became problems for the SSPX. My parents ended up returning to the CMRI after several years in Post Falls because the SSPX was starting to exhibit the cultish behavior they had seen in the their past, whereas the CMRI had cleaned house.

We started going to Post Falls around 1984. The split between the SSPX and the SSPV, had shaken things up a bit, but Archbishop Lefebvre was still alive so the SSPX garnered a lot of confidence. The consecrations in '88 shook things up more, especially since the FSSP was then formed. If you want my opinion, I think the SSPX has gone downhill since Archbishop Lefebvre died - too much willingness to negotiate and compromise. Lefebvre had backbone, and he showed it when he condemned Assisi and consecrated bishops for the survival of the Church.
If you went to Post Falls, did you know my uncle, Rev Fr Christopher Hunter?
I would think they steer clear of Dioceses and Archdioceses in Larger cities because the ordinary would give them trouble. I mean let's face it they are not welcomed with open arms. They are seen as dangerous reactionaries.

tim
(12-16-2011, 05:50 PM)Old Salt Wrote: [ -> ]If you went to Post Falls, did you know my uncle, Rev Fr Christopher Hunter?

I did. He taught me to serve mass in grade school. He came to the parish shortly after Fr Couture was transferred, and operated as an assistant to Fr Rizzo.
(12-16-2011, 06:04 PM)Verum Dulces Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-16-2011, 05:50 PM)Old Salt Wrote: [ -> ]If you went to Post Falls, did you know my uncle, Rev Fr Christopher Hunter?

I did. He taught me to serve mass in grade school. He came to the parish shortly after Fr Couture was transferred, and operated as an assistant to Fr Rizzo.
Not to derail this thread, but Fr Hunter is in Venta Oregon now, does he ever get to Post Falls on mission, and also what is the relationship between the SSPX there and the FSSP nearby?
Pages: 1 2 3