FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: company Christmas parties and Friday abstinence.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(12-23-2011, 07:31 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]Good to hear that it worked out.

Merry Christmas. :)

Merry Christmas to you as well!
(12-23-2011, 07:22 PM)damooster Wrote: [ -> ]I ended up not eating meat today. The owner of my company did not react like I thought he would (he was busy dealing with something). Instead, the person in charge of preparing the food felt horrible for not having anything for me to eat. He felt so badly about it that he wanted to order something just for me (he begged to do it), but I insisted that the potato salad filled me up (when in reality, I hate potato salad).

So it all worked out! Not only were you able to abstain from meat, you were able to do an additional penance by eating the potato salad. :-)

(12-23-2011, 07:33 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-23-2011, 07:22 PM)damooster Wrote: [ -> ]I ended up not eating meat today. The owner of my company did not react like I thought he would (he was busy dealing with something). Instead, the person in charge of preparing the food felt horrible for not having anything for me to eat. He felt so badly about it that he wanted to order something just for me (he begged to do it), but I insisted that the potato salad filled me up (when in reality, I hate potato salad).

So it all worked out! Not only were you able to abstain from meat, you were able to do an additional penance by eating the potato salad. :-)

The potato salad was actually ok. It was not as tangy as I'm used to.

I do feel bad about the way the food person reacted though. I didn't mean for him to feel so badly about it.
For the future, those of you who have reason to fear repercussions in your workplace if you don't eat meat at a company party might consider discussing it with your priest in advance.  Tell him the situation, in as few words as possible, and ask him if he will give you a dispensation so that you can eat meat at the party.

It seems to me that this is precisely the sort of situation that dispensations exist for.
Indeed, Revixit, and that gets to the crux of the matter: internet fora are bad venues for this kind of stuff.
(12-23-2011, 07:46 PM)damooster Wrote: [ -> ]I do feel bad about the way the food person reacted though. I didn't mean for him to feel so badly about it.
Happens all the time, I get faced with that a lot as a vegetarian.

I'm glad your party went well. Merry Christmas, Moo!
(12-23-2011, 07:46 PM)damooster Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-23-2011, 07:33 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]

The potato salad was actually ok. It was not as tangy as I'm used to.

I do feel bad about the way the food person reacted though. I didn't mean for him to feel so badly about it.

Not to say "I told you so" but this is one big reason I don't get picky about food regulations.  I figure you'e doing just fine making sure your host is happy as well.
(12-23-2011, 01:13 AM)OLOMC Wrote: [ -> ]Don't eat the food, plan in simple. You think a "serious" Muslim would eat something a Ramadan fast or Jews eat pork during a pig roast --- in essence, give in to peer pressure? This Saturday, Christmas Eve, should be an additional day of penance --- try coming to a Wigilia table with a hot dog. This whole subsitute penance that USCCB has is a joke.

But we are not under the law as Jews or Muslims. You can't put the means to the end in place of the end itself. If you tell anyone or hint that you are fasting then you have broken the fast. Remember, God sees in secret.

The answer to the OP's question is simple. We must place love above all else, including our asceticism. If someone places food in front of you eat it to the glory of God and go on about your day.
I would avoid it personally, but you know the situation and I do not.  With that in mind, I can certainly see a substitution out of charity.

The goal of abstaining is not to create a conflict, but rather to make a small sacrifice to God to remember God's own sacrifice for us.  We do not want to forget about the spirit of the law.

If abstaining creates a hostile situation or gives the impression of rudeness, I would certainly find something else (as others mentioned, alms or perhaps an extra Rosary.)  I was attempting a week of abstaining until Christmas, but a friend invited me to his home and was preparing among other things bacon.  He took his preparation of the bacon seriously and so I did not want to embarass him in front of others and of course I ate it.

The key is to follow what our heart is telling us as directed by the Holy Ghost.  Don't let the letter of the law prevent this.
(12-23-2011, 08:45 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-23-2011, 07:46 PM)damooster Wrote: [ -> ]I do feel bad about the way the food person reacted though. I didn't mean for him to feel so badly about it.
Happens all the time, I get faced with that a lot as a vegetarian.

I'm glad your party went well. Merry Christmas, Moo!

Merry Christmas to you, Joan!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5