FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: company Christmas parties and Friday abstinence.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Glad this was settled okay.

As someone with constant food restrictions (allergies) I have noticed that if you don't make it a big deal, everyone else doesn't either.  If you and everyone else are busy socializing, no one will notice what you do and don't eat -- especially when food is served "family style" or "help yourself."

Also, I think the Bible verse means that we should not act miserable when we fast/abstain -- not that we should deny why we aren't eating meat if someone asks us.  It more means not to be all holier than thou about it.  Most of my close friends (catholic and otherwise) know that I don't eat meat on Friday because it's come up before.  Others -- even some family members -- have managed to eat out in resturants with me on a Friday and not notice -- because when you don't make a big deal, things go unnoticed.  When you smile and order a grilled cheese, no one knows you really want a burger.
I just remembered this is an issue the desert fathers themselves dealt with frequently.  Frequently there would be monks who would practice their usual ascetic practices regarding food in the presence of guests or with hosts.  Ususally they got chastised by some older or wiser monk for doing so, and were advised to go along with their host/guests to basically create a welcoming atmosphere.  This makes sense too if we are to treat our guests like Christ himself.  Isn't there a parable of Christ's about not fasting when the bridegroom is present, regarding the pharisees' complaint that the apostles did not follow all the laws regarding food?  I know its a little out of context, but it fits.
Nothing happens by accident. The Lord heard us jabbering down here and showed you a way out.

Deo Gratias,

tim
Honestly I don't see what the big deal is.  Why would you even have to explain anything to anybody?  Would anyone even notice that you're abstaining from meat?  Even if asked I don't think its necessary to have to explain your faith to anyone, simply tell them you're you don't wish to eat any meat and leave it at that.
(12-24-2011, 02:07 PM)Lion of St. Jarlaths Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly I don't see what the big deal is.  Why would you even have to explain anything to anybody?  Would anyone even notice that you're abstaining from meat?  Even if asked I don't think its necessary to have to explain your faith to anyone, simply tell them you're you don't wish to eat any meat and leave it at that.

Not that simple!

The main difficulty with your scenario is that there are only about 12 people that work at this particular branch, so everyone is present. Everybody knows what everybody else is doing. Then you have the bosses going around making sure people got enough food to eat and offering them to get more. So there was no way to avoid that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5