FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: When Jesus Left Mary
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When the moment finally came for Jesus to leave the carpenter's bench, to leave home forever and begin His work and walk toward the Cross, what was it like? Did He tell Mary what He was going to do? Did they talk for a long time about it? Did they need to talk at all about it? With a single glance did He communicate everything, and did she understand everything?
I suspect her reaction would be similar to when she found Him in the temple:

Quote:And it came to pass, that, after three days, they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, hearing them, and asking them questions. [47] And all that heard him were astonished at his wisdom and his answers. [48] And seeing him, they wondered. And his mother said to him: Son, why hast thou done so to us? behold thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing. [49] And he said to them: How is it that you sought me? did you not know, that I must be about my father's business? [50] And they understood not the word that he spoke unto them.

[51] And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject to them. And his mother kept all these words in her heart.

Luke 3:46-51
Also, I think she knew what was to come.

Even if all she knew was what was in the scriptures, it was clear He had a mission.

She was with Him for 30 years. It would be a mistake to envision it as any household where a man just suddenly leaves home and goes out on a mission.
I was under the impression that she spent a lot of time traveling with him. I imagine cooking and such.  Shrug
(12-23-2011, 11:18 AM)verenaerin Wrote: [ -> ]I was under the impression that she spent a lot of time traveling with him. I imagine cooking and such.  Shrug

Yes, she is mentioned at Cana, the very beginning of Jesus' ministry, and at least two other places in Jesus' travels... with the "brothers" of Jesus. I imagine she was among the "women disciples" mentioned in the Gospels. She was at the foot of the Cross and also in the upper room praying at Pentecost with the infant church. Mary was very much around, involved, hands on, in the know, throughout Our Lord's life.
I believe those words at the end in Luke tell us a whole lot. "And his mother kept all these words in her heart." This occurs another time in Luke. I believe it means Mary had a general understanding of what Jesus was going to do, but the details she worked on through time, keeping them in her heart.

tim.
She sighed "Oi Vey" and made Him promise to eat three koshers a day.
Okay, Old Salt, so it shuldn't be a total loss, I'll bet if Our Lady tells Jesus all of us in heaven should have a picnic today, Jesus will get us Vienna Kosher Hot Dogs from Chicago.

tim
(12-23-2011, 01:18 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, Old Salt, so it shuldn't be a total loss, I'll bet if Our Lady tells Jesus all of us in heaven should have a picnic today, Jesus will get us Vienna Kosher Hot Dogs from Chicago.

tim
Yum!
What are Vienna Kosher Hot Dogs like?
I've only had Hebrew Intl and Nathans and Sabretts.
I eat 'em all but we believe ours are better. There is rivalry with NYC about who started Kosher dogs. We say it was us, not Coney Island. Who knows who was first. Ours have chopped raw onions, mustard, pickle relish,tomato slices, slice of Kosher dill, and hot sport peppers, and celery salt. You can have your choice of fries or a tamale, but not the good Mexican kind sold in taquerias, but the Chicago imitation from 1900, like the brand Iltaco. It is a tenet of Chicago hot dog eatery's  that Ketchup is never ever put on the hot dog, someplaces don't have any even Ketchup for the fries. Jimmy's hard by the Armory on the west side leaps to mind. Surely it's heresy.

tim