FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Oplatek
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anybody else practice The Breaking of the Oplatek on Christmas?
No, but having looked it up, it seems a wonderful custom, akin to the antidoron after Divine Liturgy.
My husband is Lithuanian so we do that but we call them "plotkele".  We almost didn't have them this year.  Vic's mother always used to get them, but she has been gone for two Christmases now. Last year Vic got them from the Lithuanian parish, but that is not very close to us and he was too busy this year.  A couple of days before Christmas we realized that we live about 15 minutes from a Polish parish and they might have it.  So I called up the parish and asked if they would give us oplatki even if we weren't parishioners.  The woman I talked to (the secretary, I suppose) told us that of course we could. 

Even though my husband had been saying he didn't mind not having plotkeles, I could tell he was fooling himself.  He was so happy to be able to have them after all.  We especially appreciated the custom this year after coming so close to losing it.
We do it. We did it just a few hours ago. It's rockin' like Dokken!
Yes, we do the oplatki thing on Christmas eve. :).  Buncha polocks
(12-25-2011, 07:58 PM)GeorgeT Wrote: [ -> ]It's rockin' like Dokken!

why do you keep saying that?
(12-26-2011, 01:58 AM)Arun Wrote: [ -> ]

I thought it was funny at the time! And extra absurd to do it twice! :P
My Great Grandmother immigrated to the USA from Poland as a young lady and we always did the Oplatek. She passed about ten years ago.  My wife and I did it this year.  It was the first time I did it since her passing.

I miss you Granny.

Merry Christmas.
(12-26-2011, 11:30 AM)Adam_Michael Wrote: [ -> ]My Great Grandmother immigrated to the USA from Poland as a young lady and we always did the Oplatek. She passed about ten years ago.  My wife and I did it this year.  It was the first time I did it since her passing.

I miss you Granny.

Merry Christmas.

It is great how family traditions connect us with those who are no longer with us. My daughter-in-law likes baking so she looked up "traditional Lithuanian desserts" on the internet and made this apple cake for the Christmas Eve meal. It turns out this cake was just like one my husband's grandmother used to make.  He was very close to her and she has been gone about 40 years now.  Making this cake was the perfect thing to do.

My oldest daughter, now in her 30's, is somewhat hostile to traditional Catholicism but is very attached to our family customs. I think I made some headway in getting her to understand why the TLM is important to me by comparing it to family traditions.

(12-26-2011, 08:45 AM)GeorgeT Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-26-2011, 01:58 AM)Arun Wrote: [ -> ]

I thought it was funny at the time! And extra absurd to do it twice! :P

Ok. Rock on, Dokkon.
Pages: 1 2