FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Confession: Then and Now
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Before Vatican II did anyone notice that there were long lines outside the confessionals on Saturday but nowadays you can maybe find 5 people outside the confessional for Saturday Confession? Not just that however but 75% of Catholics attended Mass on Sunday in 1958 while today only 25% do.
At my chapel there are always long lines outside the confessional before Mass. 

And even when I have confessed at the NO I have always found long lines.  In fact there have been many times when I was unable to confess because the Priest ran out of time.

I think the bigger problem is that many priests are just not offering confession enough, not that there isn't a desire for it.  At the local NO Church, which is a pretty large parish, there is exactly one hour of confession offered each week, this in a parish served by three priests.  That is really inexcusable.
(12-25-2011, 11:08 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]At my chapel there are always long lines outside the confessional before Mass. 

And even when I have confessed at the NO I have always found long lines.  In fact there have been many times when I was unable to confess because the Priest ran out of time.

I think the bigger problem is that many priests are just not offering confession enough, not that there isn't a desire for it.  At the local NO Church, which is a pretty large parish, there is exactly one hour of confession offered each week, this in a parish served by three priests.  That is really inexcusable.
I think this is true but as you well know there has also been a decline in priests as well over the years.
(12-25-2011, 11:08 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]At my chapel there are always long lines outside the confessional before Mass. 

I think the bigger problem is that many priests are just not offering confession enough, not that there isn't a desire for it.  At the local NO Church, which is a pretty large parish, there is exactly one hour of confession offered each week, this in a parish served by three priests.  That is really inexcusable.
At my TLM parish, there are always long queues for this sacrament, and the priests offer it each day 1/2 hour beofre Mass, followed by another 1/2 after Mass.

My friend and I happened to be out of town on Christnas Eve day, so we decided to go to a NO parish and go to Confession before heading home for midnight Mass. Tthere were 5 people in line. The second person who went was an elderly gentleman. About 2 minutes after he entered the confessional, Fr walked out of the confessional and the church with his mobile phone to his ear! The gentleman walked out looking very confused asking: "Where is Fr? Where is Fr?". Fr walked back in after 10 minutes, and asked the gentleman to come back in. After this person, Fr turned out the lights and walked off to the sacristy. My friend and I walked after him and asked if he could possible hear our confessions. He walked both of us back to the confessioanl and pointed to a sign whch said that "Confessions finish strictly at 4:30 PM" (They start at 4, so only 1/2 hour is offered each week!!). And he said that he could not hear ours as it was past 4:30 and he was behind schedule!!!!! I was furious when he said that, because he was really saying that he was too busy to care for our soulds. What if one of us had committed a mortal sin?

When we arrived at our TLM parish for midnight Mass, Fr had been in the confessional for the past 2 hours!! What dedication...Certainly shows a difference!

(12-25-2011, 11:20 PM)Teresia Wrote: [ -> ]My friend and I happened to be out of town on Christnas Eve day, so we decided to go to a NO parish and go to Confession before heading home for midnight Mass. Tthere were 5 people in line.
Wow sounds exactly like Saturday Confession for me. Although there was a small improvement: there were 10 people in line instead of 5. :Hmm:
Well, at least there is the faithful few 10 or 5...However, this was Christmas!! Surely, the whole parish should be there to prepare as well as possible for their Lord's coming.
Our SSPX parish has confession heard during most Masses, and holds Mass two to three times a day.

Local NO parishes... once weekly, for one hour at a time.
(12-25-2011, 11:24 PM)Teresia Wrote: [ -> ]Well, at least there is the faithful few 10 or 5...However, this was Christmas!! Surely, the whole parish should be there to prepare as well as possible for their Lord's coming.

Given how seriously that priest takes confession it is surprising that 10 people showed up. 
(12-25-2011, 11:25 PM)Arun Wrote: [ -> ]Our SSPX parish has confession heard during most Masses, and holds Mass two to three times a day.

Local NO parishes... once weekly, for one hour at a time.

Yes, most traditional chapels will offer confessions daily.  It should be like there everywhere. 
The other thing I notice is massive differences in penances.

Won't say what I did but once I was given a day of fasting as a penance from an SSPX priest (perhaps slightly more hevayhanded with me as he was my spiritual director) and for a similar sin confessed to an NO priest received... wait for it...

Three Hail Marys.

???

Ya.
Pages: 1 2 3