FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: January 1st: The Mass of the Holy Father--TAKE A LOOK!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
http://player.rv.va/vaticanplayer.asp?language=it&tic=VA_4945UOHA

[Image: 12_01_01_B16_Mass_14.jpg]
And here is the article from Fr. Z:

The video opens with the lead up to the Mass, with lots of panning around the basilica, inside and out.

The entrance procession, which begins with the super-Italian cheesy trumpet fanfare and the singing of Tu es Petrus!  A fine tradition restored.

His Holiness wore a Roman chasuble and a very tall gold miter.  A fine tradition restored!

The Gregorian chant Introit (too slowly, I think, and there was a stumble but… beh…), and three-fold Kyrie was sung.  A fine tradition restored!

Brick by brick.

During the entrance procession, as His Holiness went by, you could see the bishops and cardinals in choro doffing their headgear.  Archbp. Piero Marini did not.  I have no idea what that means.  Distracted probably by the Gregorian chant in the sight of the miter and chasuble.  There were Cardinal Deacons.  The concelebrating bishops also had Roman chasubles.

The penitential rite was entirely in Latin.  Alas, they had a responsorial psalm, dreadfully gooey ditty.  Like being smeared with Lyle’s Golden Syrup.

If you watch the video, you will hear the Second Reading in English with not even the slightest bow to “inclusive language”.  The women reads about us all being “sons”… not “sons and daughters”.

The deacon of the Gospel, whose Latin clearly indicated his North American origin, had a dalmatic from the era of John XXIII.

However, what a different atmosphere that Gregorian chant introit created in the basilica.  There was nothing of the mood of “spectacle”, the “lets clap for the Pope!” feeling one always had.  This was something else completely.  It’s not rocket science.  Furthermore, just an impression here, His Holiness seemed more at ease.

The bell rang at the epiclesis and elevation.

There were also lots of new camera angles and shots.  Good work CTV!

After the Ite they stood in place and sang the Alma Redemptoris Mater followed by Adeste Fideles on the way out.

He does not look good.  It looked like he had to be helped up the steps. I hope it's just old age. 
C'mon Your Holiness!  Just do it!  Troll everyone!  Celebrate a Papal Mass according to the rubrics of 1962  :LOL:!
Fr Z is starting to bore me.  The traditions that need to be restored are substantial, not these (admittedly missed and ever-gorgeous) accidental traditions like vestments and bells and smells.  Throwing bones at starving dogs.
I was a bit late and just happened to tune in during Communion.  There was a shot which showed a woman putting out her hands to receive but the priest refused (though she kept insisting) and she finally received in the tongue.  I thought that perhaps this "scene" if watched by many priests and "EMHCs" would start discouraging Communion in the hand but I am not holding my breath. 
(01-01-2012, 09:24 PM)Vincentius Wrote: [ -> ]I was a bit late and just happened to tune in during Communion.  There was a shot which showed a woman putting out her hands to receive but the priest refused (though she kept insisting) and she finally received in the tongue.  I thought that perhaps this "scene" if watched by many priests and "EMHCs" would start discouraging Communion in the hand but I am not holding my breath. 

THAT is a terrific statement though.  Could you have seen this during John Paul II? 
(01-01-2012, 09:12 PM)City Smurf Wrote: [ -> ]C'mon Your Holiness!  Just do it!  Troll everyone!  Celebrate a Papal Mass according to the rubrics of 1962  :LOL:!

What would that be like? I understand that there would be some orders restored or something for that to happen right?
(01-01-2012, 09:17 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]Fr Z is starting to bore me.  The traditions that need to be restored are substantial, not these (admittedly missed and ever-gorgeous) accidental traditions like vestments and bells and smells.  Throwing bones at starving dogs.

Overall we usually hear about bad news, so I say let's take the bones thrown at us and enjoy them while not denying reality. 

I would like to hear more traditional priests preach or write about how to live our faith in our day to day lives rather than focusing so much on the state of the church, which is outside of our control. 
(01-01-2012, 09:17 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]Fr Z is starting to bore me.  The traditions that need to be restored are substantial, not these (admittedly missed and ever-gorgeous) accidental traditions like vestments and bells and smells.  Throwing bones at starving dogs.

THIS.

And, those traditions (like the vestments and bells/smells) seem like a waste, when you see what it accompanies (the Novus Ordo).
(01-01-2012, 10:02 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]

Overall we usually hear about bad news, so I say let's take the bones thrown at us and enjoy them while not denying reality. 

I would like to hear more traditional priests preach or write about how to live our faith in our day to day lives rather than focusing so much on the state of the church, which is outside of our control. 

I'm glad the Holy Father wore some fabulous looking vestments for mass.  But I'm not "happy" about it because the problem remains, the NO.  COTT?  Good.  Proper vestments?  Good.  STILL keeping the mass of all time locked in a box to be taken out just for the sake of appeasing difficult and slow to change Catholics?  nuh-uh.  If they're going to say the NO, they might as well go "all out." 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5