FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: No Feast of the Circumcision in the NO
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, this past Sunday I mentioned to my Mom that today is the Circumcision of Our Lord and she said, "No it's not, it's the Solemnity of Mary." I do know it is also the solemnity of Mary but it seems as if the NO has gotten rid of the Circumcision and only celebrates the Solemnity of Mary. This was confirmed when I looked at the NO calendar I have. There is no mention of the Circumcision at all. Our Latin Mass priest said that celebrating the Solemnity of Mary is one of the legitimate things they brought back. I would agree with them if they didn't eliminate the Circumcision. Just like the NO religion changed the day of Epiphany from January 6th until whatever the Sunday is. I am surprised the NO religion didn't move Christmas to the nearest Sunday. God forbid people should have to attend Mass more than once a week.  :eyeroll:

(01-03-2012, 07:19 PM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]So, this past Sunday I mentioned to my Mom that today is the Circumcision of Our Lord and she said, "No it's not, it's the Solemnity of Mary." I do know it is also the solemnity of Mary but it seems as if the NO has gotten rid of the Circumcision and only celebrates the Solemnity of Mary. This was confirmed when I looked at the NO calendar I have. There is no mention of the Circumcision at all. Our Latin Mass priest said that celebrating the Solemnity of Mary is one of the legitimate things they brought back. I would agree with them if they didn't eliminate the Circumcision. Just like the NO religion changed the day of Epiphany from January 6th until whatever the Sunday is. I am surprised the NO religion didn't move Christmas to the nearest Sunday. God forbid people should have to attend Mass more than once a week.  :eyeroll:

January 1st is a mix of three traditions.

Octave of Christmas
Circumcision
Mary

If you look at the traditional Mass you'll see all three there. The NO eliminated the Galican influence, which was the circumcision.
The NO calendar doesn't refer to January 1 as the Circumcision, which is sad. But the Gospel reading in the NO for January 1 still describes Christ's circumcision, so there is still mention of it within the liturgy.
(01-03-2012, 07:51 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]The NO calendar doesn't refer to January 1 as the Circumcision, which is sad. But the Gospel reading in the NO for January 1 still describes Christ's circumcision, so there is still mention of it within the liturgy.

The 1962 missal also does not contain the feast of the circumcision, which was suppressed in 1961.  The Octave of Christmas has the same exact propers as the Feast of the Circumcision though. 
(01-03-2012, 08:15 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]The 1962 missal also does not contain the feast of the circumcision, which was suppressed in 1961.  The Octave of Christmas has the same exact propers as the Feast of the Circumcision though. 

Ah, right. I forgot to mention that in the 1962 Missal, the day is referred to only as the Octave of Christmas. So this is technically a pre-conciliar change.
The Gospel reading in the 1962 Missal I have is the Circumcision on the 1st of January. The Mass is of course for the Octave Day of the Nativity but it says the Church also honors on this day the holy name of Jesus given to the Divine Child at the Circumcision and the Divine Maternity of Our Lady.

I see the NO did indeed have the Gospel reading that mentions the circumcision so at least they do have something about the Circumcision in the Mass.