FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What's the Trad Opinion On Anglicans/Episcopalians Joining the Catholic Church?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
With the conservative Anglicans joining us... will there be anything left of the Church of England in 50 years' time??
(01-04-2012, 03:09 PM)tmw89 Wrote: [ -> ]With the conservative Anglicans joining us... will there be anything left of the Church of England in 50 years' time??

Maybe if we get a hardline Pope they can pick up our liberals?
(01-04-2012, 03:14 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2012, 03:09 PM)tmw89 Wrote: [ -> ]With the conservative Anglicans joining us... will there be anything left of the Church of England in 50 years' time??

Is it such a bad thing to wish for our liberals to just leave?  :grin:
It is an interesting topic.It will touch upon a current problem the Church is facing.
They are accepting Anglican priests who are currently married into the Church.
The rule (trick) is to have been married prior to defection. Well, many liberal Catholic priests, I dare say, even some conservative priests frown upon that. Since they cannot get married and maintain their current active status within the Church.
I read about even a bishop fathering children in a different thread. You know the Fr. Cuties et al.

For the Church, this is not pandora's box, but it is a can of worms. Gooey.
This is my view on the topic.

Like HK said, the Anglican Use has been around for 30 years.  There are a handful of communities set up under that umbrella, one here in the Boston area.  
That said, that usage has much in common with the NO, noticeably the same Offetory prayers in the ordinary.  I am not sure that they now say "for many"(for all has been used, like it was in NO).  The consecration does not include Mytery of Faith.
   While the Usage may have more smells and bells than the typical NO, it is still from the Rome of VII and is not a Catholic rite.
I believe they will be permitted to use the NO Mass.  Either way, it is not an embrace of a Catholic form of worship.
Knowing that none of us can judge souls,  I leave the individuals motivations to God alone to know.
 Seeing that the Anglican/Episcoplean sect has been slouching towards Gomorrah(to borrow something from Judge Bork), amongst other more recent happenings(women priests, abortion being permissible, etc,) I think for some it could be joining the Vatican will prevent them from having to be part of an organization that formally accepts these things which the converts know is not what the Church has ever permitted.  There could be amonst these folks some who will cherry pick, like some who call themselves Catholics do, what they believe.  
Their sect is dying.  In comparison, going by what is on the rolls, what they are going to join has staying power and maybe believes what they do.  Also, the Vatican encourages gatherings with other religions, something the Catholic Church has not ever permitted.  Maybe that has helped a few cross over.
  I think each individual may give a slightly different answer if asked why.  Like GottAlex said,this is another way that the weakening of the discipline of clerical celibacy(no married clergy) It can will take a little hit.  Why can't they join like most everybody else?
 Regardless of the contriteness of the individuals(God knows the heart), if an Anglican or anyone else for that matter asked about converting to Catholicism, I would do my best, after praying for the Holy Ghost's guidance, to steer the person to the traditional Mission/Mass center in the area where I know the priest to be solid and have them start there.  I wouldn't send them to the local parish/diocese, whatever rite they may have been inclined to join.

Joe
The "trad opinion?" Whenever anyone leaves a false sect and joins the Catholic Church, outside of whih there is no salvation, the reaction must be Deo Gratias!
(01-04-2012, 03:50 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: [ -> ]The "trad opinion?" Whenever anyone leaves a false sect and joins the Catholic Church, outside of whih there is no salvation, the reaction must be Deo Gratias!

Indeed!
(01-04-2012, 03:22 PM)tmw89 Wrote: [ -> ]

Is it such a bad thing to wish for our liberals to just leave?   :grin:

It's a good thing for the Pope and the Hierarchy to be clear.  That way, those who have the faith can be secure and those who reject the faith, knowingly and willingly do so.  Nowadays we have plenty of Catholics who hold numerous heresies and don't believe they are outside  the Church even when told so because the hierarchy hasn't supported orthodox Catholics in stamping out error.
(01-04-2012, 04:05 PM)Gerard Wrote: [ -> ]

It's a good thing for the Pope and the Hierarchy to be clear.  That way, those who have the faith can be secure and those who reject the faith, knowingly and willingly do so.  Nowadays we have plenty of Catholics who hold numerous heresies and don't believe they are outside  the Church even when told so because the hierarchy hasn't supported orthodox Catholics in stamping out error.

But Gerard... don't you know that clarity is... offensive??!!  Get with the times, man!  Viva la ambiguity!  [rides crowd to the tune of "On Eagles' Wings"]
(01-04-2012, 04:17 PM)tmw89 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2012, 04:05 PM)Gerard Wrote: [ -> ]

But Gerard... don't you know that clarity is... offensive??!!  Get with the times, man!  Viva la ambiguity!  [rides crowd to the tune of "On Eagles' Wings"]

Oh sure, I knew that clarity is offensive, well...sort of...some of the time.... I'm not really sure....yes and no.    :)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5