FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Archdiocese's Courage program subtly attacked by local news
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.wfsb.com/story/16443702/archd...attraction

WFSB Wrote:The Archdiocese of Hartford said it was implementing a new program that ministers to people with same-sex attractions.

Archdiocese officials said the purpose of the program is to support men and women who are struggling with homosexual tendencies and will motivate them to live a life in accordance with Roman Catholic teachings.

"These are people in the Roman Catholic Church who need our care and love," said Deacon Robert Pallotti, the director of the Office of the Diaconate. "In some cases, they have been rejected by society. They need to be accepted, affirmed and supported as Roman Catholics trying to remain faithful to church teachings."

Officials said COURAGE makes a distinction between homosexual feelings and attractions, and the behavior of acting on those feelings.

The program recognizes that the feelings are not a sin, but acting on them is, according to Catholic teachings.

"COURAGE will not reduce a person's identity to their sexual desire," Pallotti said. "They are people with full human dignity not defined solely by their sexual desire."

Pallotti said the formation of the ministry was a challenge.

Several meetings were held at which deacons serving on the committee had conflicting views. Initially, Pallotti said, some thought COURAGE was condoning homosexual behavior, but members soon realized that its mission is the opposite.

"Through support and spiritual intervention, we can help those with same-sex attractions live moral and fulfilling lives," Pallotti said. "These people are hurting and so are their families. Doing nothing would be a lack of compassion."

COURAGE, a national organization, was founded in 1980 by the late Terence Cardinal Cooke, Archbishop of New York.

COURAGE has more than 100 chapters across the country and is endorsed by the Vatican.

While the article and TV news report seem somewhat reasonable, WFSB-TV, Hartford, CT's CBS affiliate, did something unusual today in its noon broadcast: they explicitly told people to go to their website and voice their opinions on Courage.  So as you can imagine, just about everyone in my state with a keyboard decides to converge upon the article and ignore what the aims of Courage are and, of course, Catholic teaching.

This is something that they usually do for news items that they don't like, or for contentious political issues.  BBC does this on their website every time a Catholic article comes up.  I thought that the local TV news was fairly safe and unbiased, but I guess not.
WFSB Wrote:Officials said COURAGE makes a distinction between homosexual feelings and attractions, and the behavior of acting on those feelings.

I don't get this.  What about "thoughts, words and deeds"?

Why is it that if I may have explicit thoughts towards a beautiful woman that I don't know it is considered a sin that should be confessed, yet according to this it is not for a homosexual that has explicit thoughts towards a man?

"But I say to you, that whosoever shall look on a woman to lust after her, hath already committed adultery with her in his heart." Matthew 5:28   
(01-04-2012, 02:23 PM)mikemac Wrote: [ -> ]
WFSB Wrote:Officials said COURAGE makes a distinction between homosexual feelings and attractions, and the behavior of acting on those feelings.

I don't get this.  What about "thoughts, words and deeds"?

Why is it that if I may have explicit thoughts towards a beautiful woman that I don't know it is considered a sin that should be confessed, yet according to this it is not for a homosexual that has explicit thoughts towards a man?

"But I say to you, that whosoever shall look on a woman to lust after her, hath already committed adultery with her in his heart." Matthew 5:28   

The article doesn't seem to address wilful thoughts at all. Hopefully they do address that in their meetings.

But what it says is true, that 'feelings and attraction' aren't sins but acts are. Wilful lust is an act: an act of the will.
(01-04-2012, 02:23 PM)mikemac Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get this.  What about "thoughts, words and deeds"?

You're no more bound to confess the sin of being attracted to so-and-so than a homosexual.  Not every thought that comes through our minds is sinful.  In many cases it simply happens without our encouragement.  Sinful thoughts require one to indulge them.