FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: I'm having trouble...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
understanding what in the world this "nun" is talking about (or proposing to talk about). http://planitpurple.northwestern.edu/event/426212

I'm going to pull out the sentence that is giving me the most trouble: She identifies the need for a paradigm shift in the African church and its relationship with women. In one of her current projects, "Dreams from my Mother, Prayers to my Father: Rethinking the Trinity of God, Woman and Church." (which will be published in 2012, in the Catholic Theological Ethics in the World Church series on Feminism), she argues for a new language and new narratives that liberate women for full and sustained participation in church and in society.

Please (someone smarter than me)  tell me that she is not suggesting that the Trinity be thought of or referred to as anything other than Father, Son, and Holy Ghost/Spirit.

My son is considering this school. We are not African and I don't know how I stumbled across this particular piece, but I was searching for religious-themed programs, studies, etc. I also realize that this particular school is not Catholic, though the nun apparently graduated from a very Catholic institution. What happened or am I even more naive than my husband claims?

Any help would be much appreciated.
It sure sounds like she is trying to change the way people are taught about the Trinity. But this is what "Catholic" universities are doing now.
HARE-UH-TICK.
(01-04-2012, 09:10 PM)OrthodoxMom Wrote: [ -> ]understanding what in the world this "nun" is talking about (or proposing to talk about). http://planitpurple.northwestern.edu/event/426212

I'm going to pull out the sentence that is giving me the most trouble: She identifies the need for a paradigm shift in the African church and its relationship with women. In one of her current projects, "Dreams from my Mother, Prayers to my Father: Rethinking the Trinity of God, Woman and Church." (which will be published in 2012, in the Catholic Theological Ethics in the World Church series on Feminism), she argues for a new language and new narratives that liberate women for full and sustained participation in church and in society.

Please (someone smarter than me)  tell me that she is not suggesting that the Trinity be thought of or referred to as anything other than Father, Son, and Holy Ghost/Spirit.

I don't know if I'm smarter than you but I have some experience with this sort of thing.  This stuff is rotten through and through and you should have nothing to do with it.  She is going to be using female language for referring to God and making a case for female priests.  Her basic premise is that the Church oppresses women.  Nothing good is going to come out of that.

When the title says "Rethinking the Trinity of God, Woman and Church." it is probably not referring to the Holy Trinity, but she is messing with language and probably does want to change the names we use for the Persons of the Trinity.