FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Carroll's The Founding of Christendom
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(01-06-2012, 05:41 PM)drummerboy Wrote: [ -> ]I read Anne Carrol's (his wife) book for a high school history class.  Doubltess her work mirrors his, and her book is excellent, good Catholic material.  I have paged through the first two volumes (just got them for Christmas) and they seem excellent.

I read Anne Carrol's work in highschool as well and was extremely disappointed by the blatant disregard for history. She wrote it strictly from a Catholic point of view, which is great, as long as you present the correct facts.  But I found that she would often skew the facts in order to make Catholics look better. 
(01-06-2012, 09:40 PM)Guardian Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-06-2012, 05:41 PM)drummerboy Wrote: [ -> ]I read Anne Carrol's (his wife) book for a high school history class.  Doubltess her work mirrors his, and her book is excellent, good Catholic material.  I have paged through the first two volumes (just got them for Christmas) and they seem excellent.

I read Anne Carrol's work in highschool as well and was extremely disappointed by the blatant disregard for history. She wrote it strictly from a Catholic point of view, which is great, as long as you present the correct facts.  But I found that she would often skew the facts in order to make Catholics look better. 

I agree with this assessment of Anne Carroll's books.  HIS are great, I wouldn't recommend hers to anyone.

I read Christ the King, Lord of History by her years ago and it was so blatantly pro-Catholic without any regard to the facts that it put me off of the study of Catholic history for a long time.

In sum, read Warren Carroll's books, not Anne's.
Yeah, haven't read hers, though I know my girlfriend, who did Seton Study, thinks poorly of them.  Warren Carroll himself is actually quite brutal about exposing Catholic evils; even though he clearly despises the Calvinist movement with a passion, seeing them as revolutionaries and terrorists, he goes into detail on the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre and the mess it was.  Reading his work, it is clear that Christendom has always been a nation of sinners on the path to redemption, not perfect people.
(01-06-2012, 09:40 PM)Guardian Wrote: [ -> ]

In looking back, I am aware of this too.  One reference that sticks to my mind is some siege where soldiers fought with swords in one hand and rosaries in the other.  Uhhh...no they didn't :eyeroll:  I was referring more to the mind set of the work.  The OP thought it might be VatII'ish; I stated that since her work mirrored his, and I knew her work wasn't very VatII, his very likely wasn't either.

Brother Diamond still seems to think Carroll's volumes are worth reading - just that we should read him with caution.

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions for an indepth history of the Church that is error-free? 

How about Crocker's Triumph
(01-07-2012, 05:43 PM)Micawber Wrote: [ -> ]Brother Diamond still seems to think Carroll's volumes are worth reading - just that we should read him with caution.

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions for an indepth history of the Church that is error-free? 

How about Crocker's Triumph

As far as I have seen, Crocker mostly rips off Carroll, but isn't near'y as scholarly or well-written.
I have "Triumph" it's an execellent book for those just starting to look in to deeper at the history of the Church and the west.
Anyone ever read the works of Marian T Horvat, PHD

http://www.traditioninaction.org/History...onies.html

Let None Dare Call it Liberty:
The Catholic Church in Colonial America
Personally, I find Crocker's book absolutely horrendous. The above comments about whitewashing the darker episodes in Catholic history are insignificant when matched up with Triumph. His treatment of the Sack of Constantinople during the 4th Crusade is especially bad.
Pages: 1 2