FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Dates of New Testament Writings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I remember hearing from somewhere about evidence in France from a Jean Carmignac that would show that the Gospels and epistles were written earlier than what modern scholars always promote. Can anyone please direct me to sources that give evidence of the earlier dates for the New Testament?
I'd be interested in that too. But really, how is anyone able to know this kind of thing anyway?
I think they ate figs, not dates. We'll see what the research turns up.
Well, it is important to refute the absurd assumptions of modern biblical scholars.
Kephapaulos Wrote:I remember hearing from somewhere about evidence in France from a Jean Carmignac that would show that the Gospels and epistles were written earlier than what modern scholars always promote. Can anyone please direct me to sources that give evidence of the earlier dates for the New Testament?

Are you talking about Carmignac's Birth of the Synoptic Gospels?  I've never read it, but I've heard it proves that at least the gospels of Ss. Matthew and Mark were written within a decade of Jesus' death and resurrection.

Another must-read piece of work is a rather surprising title by an otherwise modernist Anglican bishop of the early 20th century - J.A.T. Robinson's Redating the New Testament.  He started the book as a theological joke to see how far he could carry the thesis that all of the New Testament was written prior to 70 AD - but then he ends up doing a rather good job of proving the case!

Also, check out Kenneth Gentry's Before Jerusalem Fell: Dating the Book of Revelation, in which he argues quite persuasively that St. John's Apocalypse was written in 64-65 AD, not in 95 AD like most people say.