FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Can you staple a scapular?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So this is probably a very silly question but can you staple a scapular?

I received a Green Scapular but it doesn't have a cord (I think its one of those you're supposed to leave somewhere) but I want to wear it so I'm planning to 'staple' it to my brown scapular, is this something inherently wrong in doing this? Call me scrupulous but I don't want to disrespect Our Lady
In another related question would there be an issue with supergluing it to my brown scapular even if its not blessed and then getting it blessed subsequently?
why not use a needle and thread? But I cant see how it would matter...its not a magic object. You may have a flase idea of what the scapular is. It is not an amulet or mechanical devise. (with all due respect)
(01-14-2012, 01:49 PM)TrentCath Wrote: [ -> ]So this is probably a very silly question but can you staple a scapular?

I received a Green Scapular but it doesn't have a cord (I think its one of those you're supposed to leave somewhere) but I want to wear it so I'm planning to 'staple' it to my brown scapular, is this something inherently wrong in doing this? Call me scrupulous but I don't want to disrespect Our Lady

I don't think there would be inherently disrespectful but stapeling seems too "industrial" or "expediant" (not coming up with just the right word) to me  Grin.  Perhaps you could make a small hole at the top of the Green Scapular and put it on the cord with your Brown Scapular (I know what a Scapular looks like in general but I don't have one so I can't look at the exact physical constuction).  Or, procure a needle and thread (if you don't have those most grocery and drug stores have small travel sewing kits for a couple of dollars) and stitch it onto the cord or the top of the other Scapular.
That sounds like a good question for Father Corapi. I remember a yarn he once told of a beuatician who used to stuff scapulars into the seats where her patrons had their hair cut. Not sure if she stapled, spun, folded or mutilated them to create this very unique padding for her business furniture. She also, if memroy serves, spritzed the patrons hair with holy water.
sounds like magical thinking.
(01-14-2012, 01:58 PM)voxpopulisuxx Wrote: [ -> ]why not use a needle and thread? But I cant see how it would matter...its not a magic object. You may have a flase idea of what the scapular is. It is not an amulet or mechanical devise. (with all due respect)
Its a sacramental and should be treated as such, I may be scrupolous but I know what it is. Thanks for the advice.
(01-14-2012, 02:27 PM)TrentCath Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-14-2012, 01:58 PM)voxpopulisuxx Wrote: [ -> ]why not use a needle and thread? But I cant see how it would matter...its not a magic object. You may have a flase idea of what the scapular is. It is not an amulet or mechanical devise. (with all due respect)
Its a sacramental and should be treated as such, I may be scrupolous but I know what it is. Thanks for the advice.
Oh yeah respect the sacramental in all aspects, but the practical matter of how to attach it- staple, tape, or thread, or glue, is completely morally neutral unless your object was to deface the object, which obviously was not your intent at all.
(01-14-2012, 02:02 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote: [ -> ]That sounds like a good question for Father Corapi. I remember a yarn he once told of a beuatician who used to stuff scapulars into the seats where her patrons had their hair cut. Not sure if she stapled, spun, folded or mutilated them to create this very unique padding for her business furniture. She also, if memroy serves, spritzed the patrons hair with holy water.

Maybe someone should stuff a scapular in Fr. John's motorcycle seat and mix some holy water with his mustache dye. 
(01-14-2012, 02:43 PM)voxpopulisuxx Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-14-2012, 02:27 PM)TrentCath Wrote: [ -> ]
Oh yeah respect the sacramental in all aspects, but the practical matter of how to attach it- staple, tape, or thread, or glue, is completely morally neutral unless your object was to deface the object, which obviously was not your intent at all.

Fair enough, thanks.
Pages: 1 2