FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Reclaiming the Anglo/English saints
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I was just discussing with Vetus in the chat room about how pre-Reformation English saints hardly get any mention in trad churches these days. I commented, for example, that the priest who celebrates my local diocesan TLM has never mentioned Saint Thomas Becket, the most famous English martyr, whose shrine once rivalled Santiago de Compostela and even Rome itself. He frequently quotes saints from the Counter-Reformation and the 19th or 20th centuries, most of whom come from Italy or France. But what about stories of Saint Alban, or Augustine of Canterbury? Has the Reformation cut so deep a wound that we no longer feel an affinity for the old English saints?

[Image: NORalban.JPG]
I hear many Americans have trouble identifying themselves as Anglo-Saxon so this should come as no surprise!
These saints could definetely use more mention.  At least Thomas More gets plenty of attention though Smile
My favorite English saint during the reformation and was against it.

[Image: 220px-Hans_Holbein_d._J._065.jpg]
(01-16-2012, 11:59 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]I hear many Americans have trouble identifying themselves as Anglo-Saxon so this should come as no surprise!

It's not surprising few American Catholics like describing themselves as Anglo-Saxon since few are! 
(01-16-2012, 11:59 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]I hear many Americans have trouble identifying themselves as Anglo-Saxon so this should come as no surprise!

I am not Anglo Saxon.
(01-17-2012, 12:13 AM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]

It's not surprising few American Catholics like describing themselves as Anglo-Saxon since few are! 

It would be interesting to know what percentage of American Catholics are of English/Anglo-Saxon descent. I'm pretty sure it's very small. Even tho' I'm half English, my Catholic descent is German.
St. Oswald!
I'm half-Asian and probably still more Anglo than most of y'all, haha.

But even without the blood descent, I feel these saints are important to us as speakers of the English language and inheritors of English customs and traditions.
(01-17-2012, 12:22 AM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: [ -> ]St. Oswald!

St Dunstan, St Swithun, St Edmund, St Edward the Confessor!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5