FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: SSPX sends the CDF a more precise response to the Doctrinal Preamble
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
http://wdtprs.com/blog/2012/01/sspx-send...+Say%3F%29

SSPX sends the CDF a more precise response to the Doctrinal Preamble
Posted on 17 January 2012 by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf

You know about the “Doctrinal Preamble” which the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith gave to the SSPX.  The SSPX issued a preliminary reaction to the Preamble.  Now they have sent the CDF a more precise response, which the CDF will study.

Our friends at Rorate, always diligent in all matters SSPX, have some of the redirected skinny from Andrea Tornielli.  Here is a sample, though you can read the rest there.  My emphases:

Vaticanist Andrea Tornielli’s source in the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith provides him the following information (published in today’s La Stampa – translation by Vatican Insider, corrected according to the Italian original):

The actual and proper response of the superior of the Society of Saint Pius X, Bernard Fellay, formulated according to the requests of the Holy See, arrived at the Vatican only last week. The first reply, received by the Vatican on December 21, was not considered adequate by Vatican authorities, who asked the head of the Lefebvrians [sic] to redraft it, considering the first delivery as more of a “documentation” than a reply. Thus Bishop Fellay prepared a second text, more concise, related to the doctrinal preamble that the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith delivered to him last September. This second text is now being carefully examined by consultants of the Commission “Ecclesia Dei”, who follow the Lefebrvian dossier, and this could require some time.

Next week, the plenary of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith will meet in the palace of the Holy Office. On the agenda is a possible communication regarding relations with the Society of St. Pius X, but it is unlikely that the meeting will be decisive, because Fellay’s second response – which accepts some parts of the doctrinal preamble while questioning others – requires time to be examined. It is likely that a more accurate decision on what to do will not be made now, but in February, during a “Feria IV”, as the ordinary congregations of the former Holy Office are called. [Note: Because they take place on a Wednesday, a Feria Quarta...]

[...]

I hope the SSPX had the good sense not arrogantly to instruct Rome on its errant ways.

It is possible to go off the road into the ditch on either side of the road.  Either way, you are still in the ditch.

Let us also pray that those who read what the SSPX has sent to the CDF will, with the help of grace, read correctly and with good will what they have received.

As I contemplate this, I will drink some Mystic Monk Coffee.
(01-18-2012, 11:46 AM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]I hope the SSPX had the good sense not arrogantly to instruct Rome on its errant ways.

It is possible to go off the road into the ditch on either side of the road.  Either way, you are still in the ditch.

Let us also pray that those who read what the SSPX has sent to the CDF will, with the help of grace, read correctly and with good will what they have received.

This is very important.  Regardless of how many differences there were, progress will only be made if both sides in humility are willing to work with the other. 

Its like resolving a huge fight with your wife.... it takes 2 to fight, and therefore 2 need to genuinely make up before there can be full unity. 
(01-18-2012, 12:57 PM)Guardian Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-18-2012, 11:46 AM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]I hope the SSPX had the good sense not arrogantly to instruct Rome on its errant ways.

This is very important.  Regardless of how many differences there were, progress will only be made if both sides in humility are willing to work with the other. 

Its like resolving a huge fight with your wife.... it takes 2 to fight, and therefore 2 need to genuinely make up before there can be full unity. 
Could not agree more.
I shall pray for Gods Will to be done in this matter.
Good to know. So there is a more precise response to this riddle, cloaked in mystery, and wrapped in an enigma.

I don't know, but this is beginning to remind me of that game Mystery Date. And I suspect, at the end, when the door is opened, it will reveal the dreaded Dud!
The SSPX shouldn't moderate their views if their views are the correct ones.
Guardian, Econe needs Rome.  Rome needs none but herself.

There can be no talk of it taking two to tangle when the Church is involved.
(01-18-2012, 02:20 PM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]The SSPX shouldn't moderate their views if their views are the correct ones.
Neither should the Holy See.
(01-18-2012, 02:26 PM)City Smurf Wrote: [ -> ]Guardian, Econe needs Rome.  Rome needs none but herself.

Agreed! However a withdrawal of submission to Rome wound's the unity of Church, and does much more harm than good.  Both sides would benefit from a full communion and therefore we must pray that God's will be done and unity is achieved. 
(01-18-2012, 02:20 PM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]The SSPX shouldn't moderate their views if their views are the correct ones.

Beware of pride and arrogance which led to the fall of Lucifer.  In this case if the olive branch is extended, and ultimately rejected by all or part of the SSPX following, pride will lead toward real schism and rejection of Christ's true Church. 
Quote: It is possible to go off the road into the ditch on either side of the road.  Either way, you are still in the ditch.

Hmmm interesting that he picks the "moderate" example for something so important as if "the middle way" is the right way.  

I thnk the more apt saying is Chesterton's that went something like:  A man may fall in a thousand different directions but he may only stand in one.  

There is only one truth.  If Rome and the SSPX are two resolve things it must be on the one truth. Rome and the SSPX standing upright.  It's up to those who've changed to prove that they are upright or to get upright.

Pages: 1 2 3