FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Protestant Exorcisms
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(01-20-2012, 12:11 AM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-19-2012, 10:56 PM)drummerboy Wrote: [ -> ]Is it a bad thing to want to be an exorcist?

I don't think so.  I have also felt that I wanted to be one, but if what I have learned about exorcisms is correct, guys like us who would want to be one won't ever be.   :LOL:

I know what you mean.  The men who want to fight evil the most and are most aware of its reality are kept from fighting it.  That's diabolic in itself. 
(01-20-2012, 12:13 PM)drummerboy Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-19-2012, 10:56 PM)drummerboy Wrote: [ -> ]Is it a bad thing to want to be an exorcist?
I don't think so.  I have also felt that I wanted to be one, but if what I have learned about exorcisms is correct, guys like us who would want to be one won't ever be.   :LOL:
I know what you mean.  The men who want to fight evil the most and are most aware of its reality are kept from fighting it.  That's diabolic in itself. 

If you want to be an exorcist, you probably should not be. You might want to fantasize about it, but I would not recommend it and don't think for a moment that the fantasy is anything close to the reality. It is different from wanting to be a cop. or even a soldier.  That kind of direct confrontation between a normal fallen man and a fallen angel with hiis nature twisted but still retaining all of his angelic power is whithering and totally unfamiliar to the human.  It is alien, and you are the prey and it wants you dead with your soul in mortal sin.  You are totally reliant on the Angels, Saints and Our Lady and the authority of Our Lord for your physical and emotional and spiritual survival.  Pray that God never has to deliver you from a direct or even indirect encounter with that particular manifestation of evil.  The exorcist is a calling within the calling of the priesthood as it now is not given to laymen and it is a solitary Calvary for the poor priest who is known to be a good exorcist.    I would recommend people curb their curiosity if they are too emotionally interested or fascinated with this sort of thing.  Pray to the Angels and surround yourself in meditation on them and their protection.  Angels are much more interesting, much more powerful and much healthier to contemplate than Demons or Obsession and Possession.  That is dangerous stuff and you need to study it in a balanced way and know when to focus on something else. 
Gerard--

Between Father Rippergers conferences and talks, Malachi Martins terrifying book Hostage to the Devil and Father Amorth's books I would agree with you. This stuff is dangerous, very dangerous and we should all pray to never ever have to encounter something like this in real life. I'll tell you what, I have been fostering a devotion to St. Michael, my Guardian angel and our Lady of Sorrows as frequently as I can. I don't go to bed without making the sign of the Cross on my pillow with holy water or praying for the all encompassing guidance of our Lady, St. Michael and my guardian angel. I also say the Litany of the Precious Blood daily along with the Rosary. I truly want no encounter with any of that stuff at all. Just being involved in the death metal scene years ago with it's unspeakable blasphemies and dark violent imagery has scarred me ever since and that is only the human element in it.
(01-20-2012, 10:54 PM)Gerard Wrote: [ -> ]If you want to be an exorcist, you probably should not be.

This is more what I meant, Drummerboy.
(01-18-2012, 07:09 PM)LoyalVIews Wrote: [ -> ]I'm curious. Would a Protestant exorcism work...since the person performing it might (probably) be a heretic? How about if a Priest helped (cooperated with) a protestant "minister" to perform an Exorcism (hypothetically, as I can't see how on earth that'd work).

Yes, it would work – the “pastor” would disappear in a flash of Holy Light!

That’s how you know the Protestant  “exorcism” hasn’t worked, the minister is still there.

:LOL:

Cheers!

Caoimhín
AMDG
(01-20-2012, 10:54 PM)Gerard Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-20-2012, 12:13 PM)drummerboy Wrote: [ -> ]

If you want to be an exorcist, you probably should not be. You might want to fantasize about it, but I would not recommend it and don't think for a moment that the fantasy is anything close to the reality. It is different from wanting to be a cop. or even a soldier.  That kind of direct confrontation between a normal fallen man and a fallen angel with hiis nature twisted but still retaining all of his angelic power is whithering and totally unfamiliar to the human.  It is alien, and you are the prey and it wants you dead with your soul in mortal sin.  You are totally reliant on the Angels, Saints and Our Lady and the authority of Our Lord for your physical and emotional and spiritual survival.   Pray that God never has to deliver you from a direct or even indirect encounter with that particular manifestation of evil.  The exorcist is a calling within the calling of the priesthood as it now is not given to laymen and it is a solitary Calvary for the poor priest who is known to be a good exorcist.    I would recommend people curb their curiosity if they are too emotionally interested or fascinated with this sort of thing.  Pray to the Angels and surround yourself in meditation on them and their protection.  Angels are much more interesting, much more powerful and much healthier to contemplate than Demons or Obsession and Possession.  That is dangerous stuff and you need to study it in a balanced way and know when to focus on something else. 

I kinf of figured that anyone who wanted to be an exorcist shouldn't be one.  Do not that I have no fantasies about this "warfare" though, having grown in a hosuse most likely haunted by a demon.

How, then , are exorcists selected though? Given the current dearth of them. should priests willing to perform this task b given more freedom to do so?  Or does the Church do the whole thing of waiting for "the call."?
(01-21-2012, 11:27 AM)drummerboy Wrote: [ -> ]I kinf of figured that anyone who wanted to be an exorcist shouldn't be one.  Do not that I have no fantasies about this "warfare" though, having grown in a hosuse most likely haunted by a demon.
How, then , are exorcists selected though? Given the current dearth of them. should priests willing to perform this task b given more freedom to do so?  Or does the Church do the whole thing of waiting for "the call."?

They wind up in the situation through various reasons and not all exorcists are particularly good at it.  It's a humble priests with his head on straight that can simply say he won't succeed at exorcism when he knows what's involved. 

There was a very ad hoc approach in which exorcists would mentor the assisting priests and sift through and find the ones who were suited towards it.  Bishops often simply assign someone to it, lucky or unlucky depending on the selection. 

Fr. Amorth has worked very hard in organizing and structuring the need and training for exorcists since it has become more and more apparent of the need for it.

Matt Baglio's book "The Rite" deals with a lot of the modern circumstances.  (far different from the movie) 

http://www.mattbaglio.com/book.html
I read "The Rite"-great book.  I sw the movie-great disappointment.  Its good while it follows the basic plot of the book, but the end is just another typical hollywood horror movie.
For What It's Worth, this site has a list of Catholic Exorcists & Protestant Excorcists:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_exo..._exorcists

I didn't realize that Pope John Paul II had performed an exorcism, same with St. Padre Pio.
[Image: 128787573836668435.jpg]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6