FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Anti-V2 "Oath" floating around?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Friends Hi!

Has anyone seen this sort of thing? It was on a (what I like to call) Phasebook page:

Quote:I, N., publically declare anathema against Vatican II. I reject this council with its ambigious documents and decrees on the grounds that they contradict the infallible statements of Unam Sanctam, Mortalium Animos, Pascendi Dominici Gregis, and Mystici Corpus. No council can overturn what has always been believed and what has been already infallibly defined. Those who adhere to a contrary view are guilty of schism and/or heresy. Anathema Vatican II! Anathema Ecumenism! Anathema the new mass! Amen.

Is this person officially declaring that he is outside Rome? How does one combat this? SHOULD one? Is his faith in Christ nothing without faith in the Magisterium of His Body?
Good morning, Lætare: 

The Oath was started a LONG time ago and was issued by SPX, on September 1, 1910, who mandated that "…all clergy, pastors, confessors, preachers, religious superiors, and professors in philosophical-theological seminaries…" should swear to it.

LOL

It just seems that somewhere around the middle of the last century, folks forgot about it… aye, and there’s the crux. Pity.

Cheers!

Caoimhín
AMDG
It sounds sensational.  And I don't know what it's supposed to do, I mean how do you make that oath?  We can attend the tridentine rite and avoid the NO and follow our 1962 calendars and live tradition without taking an oath to denounce v2- if you're doing it right you really don't need an oath.

And how much in those encyclicals are infallible anyways?  Like the warnings against modernism... I mean, those aren't infallible teachings, are they?  I really don't think so.  They're completely spot on and they're advice that ought to be followed from everyone up to the pope, but it isn't infallible.  No way.  It's early, gotta go to work.  I'll try to make sense later. 
(01-21-2012, 10:55 AM)CaoimhinPConnell Wrote: [ -> ]Good morning, Lætare: 

The Oath was started a LONG time ago and was issued by SPX, on September 1, 1910, who mandated that "…all clergy, pastors, confessors, preachers, religious superiors, and professors in philosophical-theological seminaries…" should swear to it.

LOL

It just seems that somewhere around the middle of the last century, folks forgot about it… aye, and there’s the crux. Pity.

Cheers!

Caoimhín
AMDG

That's the oath against modernism.  This is something someone probably wrote up on an index card.  But yes, pity indeed that we "lost" the oath against modernism.
We didn't "lose" it:
Indeed it was abrogated by Paul VI, who, being a modernist himself and probably feeling he actually was guilty of perjury (and a lot of post VATII priests, bishops and cardinals alike), found an easy way to stop that scandal in cancelling it.
"Do you reject Vatican II?"

"No, I reject the errors of Vatican II."

This distinction should always be made.