FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Need Fisheaters Help to support TLM in suburban Detroit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
To all Fisheaters, your help is needed to spread the word and get attendence up.

In suburban Detroit, there is only one parish, Ss Cyril and Methodius in Sterling Hts, that has the TLM every week (Saturdays at 6pm)
http://www.saintcyrils.org/

There are two other parishes in downtown Detroit (Assumption Grotto and St Josephat) that have a weekly TLM, but all the rest in the archdiocese that have the TLM have it monthly or less.  Ss Cyril's is the only parish in the suburbs to have it weekly.  You would think the TLM at Ss Cyril's would be standing room only.  But no.  Sadly, the average attendence is 15 to 25 people.  I am hoping it is because people may not be aware the TLM is celebrated every Saturday at 6pm at Ss Cyril's.

So, to all Fisheaters... if you live in suburban Detroit, please start attending Ss Cyril's TLM if you don't already.  Please spread the word about Ss Cyril's TLM to any and all friends and relatives you have that live in suburban Detroit.  How can we expect the Church to begin offering more TLMs if the ones we have get such low attendence?

Thank you. :pray:
SSPX
St. Anne's Church
734-462-3200
38100 Five Mile Road
LIVONIA [NB: formerly in Redford]
Sunday 7:30am & 10:00am (High Mass)
Saturday 11:00am
1st Friday 7:00pm
(01-22-2012, 05:15 PM)AllWise Wrote: [ -> ]To all Fisheaters, your help is needed to spread the word and get attendence up.

In suburban Detroit, there is only one parish, Ss Cyril and Methodius in Sterling Hts, that has the TLM every week (Saturdays at 6pm)
http://www.saintcyrils.org/

There are two other parishes in downtown Detroit (Assumption Grotto and St Josephat) that have a weekly TLM, but all the rest in the archdiocese that have the TLM have it monthly or less.  Ss Cyril's is the only parish in the suburbs to have it weekly.  You would think the TLM at Ss Cyril's would be standing room only.  But no.  Sadly, the average attendence is 15 to 25 people.  I am hoping it is because people may not be aware the TLM is celebrated every Saturday at 6pm at Ss Cyril's.

So, to all Fisheaters... if you live in suburban Detroit, please start attending Ss Cyril's TLM if you don't already.  Please spread the word about Ss Cyril's TLM to any and all friends and relatives you have that live in suburban Detroit.  How can we expect the Church to begin offering more TLMs if the ones we have get such low attendence?

Thank you. :pray:

Hmmm...

One possible reason that springs to mind for the low attendance:

Trads tend not to be big fans of the 'Vigil Mass' slot. If there are alternatives within driving distance, they might go for those even if they're somewhat less convenient.

If you think there's any chance of it working, it might be worth suggesting the priest swap it with one of the Sunday NO's (assuming there are multiple of those).
I agree with the last post. A Sunday time slot would be much preferred than Saturday vigil.

A trad once said this on how to increase attendance: Either get a holier priest, or find a better time.

In this situation, I agree with Martinus about the time.
What does it matter tohugh?  a good priest is willing to offer the holy sacrifice of the mass according to our prefered form.

I would be willing to go to it but I live in Texas.  We only have ONE TLM here in San Antonio and an all latin NO with the smells and bells but I digress.
I'll pray that you'll have more attdance, be assured of my prayers
I live in suburban Detroit, but St. Josaphat is a mere ten-minute drive from home. It's more conveniently located than Saints Cyril and Methodius in Sterling Heights. St. Josaphat is also a stunningly beautiful church, and its 9:30 Sunday morning Missa Canta well nigh brings me to tears.

I am disappointed the TLM hasn't caught on. I would have expected more churches to be offering it by now.
For us, it would be a 40 to 50 minute drive to get to St Josephat or Assumption Grotto, where as Ss Cyril's is only 5 minutes away.
Besides being populated by Poles who love their Polka Masses and JP II, as well as by Italians who love the inculturation found in their  Novus Ordo parishes, Ss Cyril and Methodius Church is not  constructed for traditional Catholic worship.  That section of town already has a real (and thriving) 24-7 trad parish, Our Lady Queen of Martyrs in Fraser (only 15 minutes away), that doesn't compromise with the heterodox practices of the new religion.
I live in Detroit, went to St Josephat once; it is indeed very beautiful.  I will make an effort to attend again in the future.  Live on the west side of Detroit so the trip to Sterling Heights is a bit much, but hopefully I can make that journey some time during Lent.  Thanks so much for the information.
In the end, don't get discouraged. You  are all fighting the good fight. If I were out in Detroit, I would attend the Mass and volunteer to sing the ordinary and propers. I support the TLM regardless of when and where it is said.
Pages: 1 2