FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Excellent series of Charles Coulombe lectures available
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm listening to the talk on the Syllabus right now and trying not to laugh out loud whilst at work.

What a find! Thank you very much for the link.
This being my first sick day in over a year, I just finished listening to his talk on Jansenism.  It's very entertaining and informative.

I've listened to the first you've pointed out. He's entertainng and informative. His little nugget from St Jerome about St. Anthony in the desert concerning the fawn, a pan like creature, was a real curiosity.

tim
I'm listening to the talk on Americanism. The speakers describe the American Republic as "evil" since it was founded on evil principles and was anti-Catholic from its inception. I wonder what you US/Canadian listeners think?

The story of President Kennedy Okaying the assassination of President Diem of Vietnam, a fellow Catholic, was particularly disturbing.
Great stuff.
My favorite part of "Syllabus of Errors" was this:

Q. Did you hear about when the KKK drove a Unitarian family out of town?
A. Yeah, they burned a question mark in their front yard.
(01-27-2012, 12:49 PM)Scotus Wrote: [ -> ]I'm listening to the talk on Americanism. The speakers describe the American Republic as "evil" since it was founded on evil principles and was anti-Catholic from its inception. I wonder what you US/Canadian listeners think?

The story of President Kennedy Okaying the assassination of President Diem of Vietnam, a fellow Catholic, was particularly disturbing.
I am in agreement with Charles Coulombe on his view regarding the founding of America.

I do know for a fact Someone1776 takes issue with Charles C. stating that the majority of Catholics in the colonies were Loyalists or tended to be loyalists.

I personally think that Coulombe's view on this matter is very logical.
Thanks Gerard!  Just started listening and I'm already hooked.

I found the part were he is talking about the lower and higher forms of love and fear very fascinating, especially were he gives the following example;

“if your mistress is suddenly possessed, no amount of the sort of love your use to dealing with, is going to get her back and you know it. The highest fear (possession) can only be fought with the highest love (exorcism).”

What a profound statement.

See (Part 1: God and Reality 20:30-21:07)
Gerard, I have a question. He seems once and awhile to drop into a accent similar to the Brahmans of Boston. He also vaguely sounds like he's Australian at times. These are impressions, but is he a natural born American ?  I listened to the first four, and he's good.

tim
(01-29-2012, 12:09 AM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]Gerard, I have a question. He seems once and awhile to drop into a accent similar to the Brahmans of Boston. He also vaguely sounds like he's Australian at times. These are impressions, but is he a natural born American ?  I listened to the first four, and he's good.

tim

Gerard can say for sure, but I know C has spent much time in England, and in the states he is from CA and family from MA.
Pages: 1 2 3