FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: "Eucharist" as an un-articled proper noun
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere; you guys know I am too lazy to "Search" before posting.

In the last 3 weeks, all of a sudden our (lousy NO) parish has adopted "Eucharist" as a proper noun.  It's definitely new, and I recall how jarring it was upon first hearing.

Examples:
"when we come to Eucharist"
"consider Eucharist"
"remember that Eucharist is 'the source and summit' of Christian life"

So, two things here:
1. Just another flippin' NO innovation   >:(
2. this usage of Eucharist as such has been inserted in the parish prayer and the new usage appears to have been universally adopted in this short time, at least as far as I can tell by listening to the rhythm of the congregation's voice.

(As to the "parish prayer" - that is another peeve for another post).

Has anybody else encountered this use of "Eucharist"?  And are people so apathetic that they just do it because the priest does?  I guess obedience is a virtue.....but not unthinking obedience.
most people are as deep as a puddle on a pool table :eyeroll:

sounds like the aliean in the first star trek movie

vee-jer seeks all......

NO are to lazy to write THE  :eyeroll:
I heard all of those at a local parish, for quite some time now too. I knew something always sounded off. It was built during VII so theologically the place is a mess, except for some of the older priests. The Deacon there who baptized my son had even said that the church made things up to force membership upon citizens. I wanted to think this guy was joking but I couldn't tell.
I struggle with swearing too, but using the Lord's name in vain...no matter how fired up you are....is a big no-no for me. 

I'm surprised to find it on a Traditional Catholic forum.
(01-29-2012, 12:21 PM)Guardian Wrote: [ -> ]I struggle with swearing too, but using the Lord's name in vain...no matter how fired up you are....is a big no-no for me. 

You're absolutely right.  Removed.  Thanks for the salutary reminder.
(01-29-2012, 12:21 PM)Guardian Wrote: [ -> ]I struggle with swearing too, but using the Lord's name in vain...no matter how fired up you are....is a big no-no for me. 

Its not in vain if its true ...God does damn evil and evil practices. As in the God-damned pedophiles in hollywood
Maybe it is an attempt to be closer to the Latin which does not use a definite article.  This would be conforming to the new translation which also tries to be closer to the Latin.

Have you asked anyone who talks this way why they are doing it?  Or are you assuming that it must be a bad reason?  Do you think there are unorthodox theological implications to omitting the article?  Are you just objecting because it is different from what you are used to?
I object because it appears to me to be an affectation. 
(01-29-2012, 12:52 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: [ -> ]

You're absolutely right.  Removed.  Thanks for the salutary reminder.

Not a problem; God Bless...
It's because they don't want to say the word "Mass".

Example: "Will you be at 9 o' clock Eucharist tomorrow?" 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6