FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Which Bible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I've started buying a Catholic book a month. This month I've decided to buy a bible. I have a KJV, and a tatty paperback NAB.
What bible is superior? The New American Bible, the Revised Standard edition, or The Douey-Rhimes? I don't want to cough up 35 bucks for a nice bible, only to realize I should have bought this other version instead, yanno?
(next month, the catechim of trent)
(01-29-2012, 03:53 PM)knittycat Wrote: [ -> ]I've started buying a Catholic book a month. This month I've decided to buy a bible. I have a KJV, and a tatty paperback NAB.
What bible is superior? The New American Bible, the Revised Standard edition, or The Douey-Rhimes? I don't want to cough up 35 bucks for a nice bible, only to realize I should have bought this other version instead, yanno?

Trash the KJV, it's missing 7 books in the OT and the rest is full of adulterations.

Stick with Douey-Rhimes. Haydock is a Douey-Rhimes and is loaded with the interpretations from the Fathers - it is the best IMO. Here's the online version for ya:  http://haydock1859.tripod.com/
(01-29-2012, 03:53 PM)knittycat Wrote: [ -> ]I've started buying a Catholic book a month. This month I've decided to buy a bible. I have a KJV, and a tatty paperback NAB.

If you live in the USA, contact me and I will let you know what books, including Bibles, I have available. I have some books to send away to others and I'd give them to you (although if you paid shipping, it would help) if you want.

I recommend the D-R. You can read these online if you want.

http://drbo.org/
I only keep the KJV because it's so pretty. It was presented to my late husband by a friend. I don't use it as reference.
I'ld *love* a haydock bible. but the only place I've found it for sale it's 125 dollars! eek! I'll have to keep up with the onine version

su, I do live in the US, I'll message you.
Yearning for a D-R bible here!

The KJV can be useful if you are interested in literature, since it often appears quoted.  I had one priest (FSSP) tell me to burn mine and another priest (Oratorian) say to keep it as a literary work.

Douay-Rheims is probably the closest English version to the Vulgate.  It also has the advantage of being completely unaffected by modernism.  Its disadvantage is that you may find the older form of English difficult to understand.  If you want something in modern English I recommend Revised Standard, but make sure it is the second Catholic edition.  Other editions may have "inclusive language" which is something to be avoided.
The original  KJV includes all the books of the Bible, but it is usually sold without all the books. While not perfect it is a very good translation that is considered literature in itself.  

I think it's important to find a translation that you will read. Many Catholics like the RSV-Catholic edition.  I like the NAB despite the rather uninspired translation and footnotes seemingly written by atheists because it is what I grew up with and am comfortable with.
I grew up reading the KJV. I think I've got the old english thing covered ;) I think D-R wins by a landslide, although I may in the future look at getting the second RSVCE eventually.
(01-29-2012, 04:14 PM)knittycat Wrote: [ -> ]I grew up reading the KJV. I think I've got the old english thing covered ;) I think D-R wins by a landslide, although I may in the future look at getting the second RSVCE eventually.

I have both which is what I consider the best solution.  If I could only buy one, I'd get the the RSVCE and use the D-R (with Haydock commentary) online.  But your plan sounds like a good way to do it.
I have this inexpensive D-R from Amazon. It's paperback and about $20 (Amazon tells me I ordered it Sept 13, 2010)

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-DOUAY-RHEIMS-VERSION/dp/1935302051/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327868326&sr=8-1
Pages: 1 2 3 4