FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The real St. Francis of Assisi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
(02-01-2012, 12:41 PM)Guardian Wrote: [ -> ]All I'm going to say is I will pray for you.  God Bless. 

I'll pray that you get better at reading "tone."

Now that is what sarcasm looks like.

And thank you, Vetus. I'm sure everyone is as sick of these arguments as I am but discussing anything is getting impossible around here with the constant paranoia about feminism surfacing everywhere.
(02-01-2012, 04:12 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-01-2012, 03:54 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get the hate for sarcasm. It's a legitimate mode of expression. Jonathan Swift would never have lasted here. It's not the tone that is the problem. Just when people are shown how ridiculous their positions are they they no longer want to talk about the issue at hand and start complaining about sarcasm and tone.

Kind of like the people who feigned mock indignation over Swift's suggestion to eat Irish babies rather than addressing his scathing critique of the treatment of the Irish.   

What really gets me is that I wasn't even being sarcastic. Guardian just sensed something he didn't like about my comment, couldn't describe what it was, and settled on "well you sounded sarcastic so you must be a feminist."

Sarcasm : strongly made point that I don't agree with.
(02-01-2012, 04:15 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: [ -> ]discussing anything is getting impossible around here with the constant paranoia about feminism surfacing everywhere.

Feminism is really bad, really pervasive, and often subtle.  Being alert to its presence is a good idea.  However, it is more helpful for people to look for the influence of feminism in their own lives than to point fingers at others.  I know that I need to keep examining myself for it.
Actually, what's funny about this whole thing is that Iolanthe's ire is directed at Guardian and she's accusing him of calling people feminists when it was originally The Dying Flutchman who said it (and whom Iolanthe replied to), not Guardian.    Unless the two are the same person, I think there's been a little mistake.  
(02-01-2012, 04:02 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]Now you are teasing me. Please don't call me "Ms. Jayne" even in jest.  I am really sorry for the things I thought and did as a feminist and don't want the "Ms" that they introduced put with my name. 

So you know exactly how frustrating it is to be associated with feminism against your will, and yet you can't understand why it makes me so upset? How much more frustrating do you think it must be for a person who has NEVER felt any connection with feminism to be constantly labelled with it?
(02-01-2012, 04:26 PM)The Curt Jester Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, what's funny about this whole thing is that Iolanthe's ire is directed at Guardian and she's accusing him of calling people feminists when it was originally The Dying Flutchman who said it (and whom Iolanthe replied to), not Guardian.    Unless the two are the same person, I think there's been a little mistake.  

(01-31-2012, 07:20 PM)Guardian Wrote: [ -> ]You're overreacting.  Cool off already.  I told you I agreed with part of what you wrote.  All I'm saying is DON'T be outraged if people read your post and throw the feminist flag due to the fact that your sarcastic tone of voice makes it sound a lot like "woman are just as good if not better than men."

(01-31-2012, 11:56 AM)Guardian Wrote: [ -> ]Couple things....
1) No one is calling you a feminist, but you've got to admit that tone can say a lot.  What you wrote is forceful, sarcastic, and sounds like "woman in this situation were better than the men."  I'm not accusing you of being a feminist, just saying you might want to watch how you convey things if you don't want to come across a certain way. 
2) However you meant it, thats just your interpretation of what happened.  Whether or not you are repeating what a Priest has told you still only means that its an interpretation. 
3) I agree with both of you.  The women WERE loyal and compassionate and the men weren't there BECAUSE they were scared and in hiding.  They were well known to be followers of Christ and presented a possible threat to the Romans, therefore putting them at risk for arrest and crucifixion. Again, just my interpretation.     

I am, in fact, capable of carrying on two different conversations at once. It's a special female talent, Jester.
(02-01-2012, 04:29 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: [ -> ]I am, in fact, capable of carrying on two different conversations at once. It's a special female talent, Jester.

Actually, not.  I do it quite often myself.  Men just don't brag about it.
(02-01-2012, 04:31 PM)The Curt Jester Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-01-2012, 04:29 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: [ -> ]I am, in fact, capable of carrying on two different conversations at once. It's a special female talent, Jester.

Well, you missed the mark this time, so go ahead and retract your statement.

Oh and I was being sarcastic about it being a special female talent. I'll pray for your ability to read tone, too.
(02-01-2012, 04:33 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-01-2012, 04:31 PM)The Curt Jester Wrote: [ -> ]

Well, you missed the mark this time, so go ahead and retract your statement.

Oh and I was being sarcastic about it being a special female talent. I'll pray for your ability to read tone, too.

Why thank you!
(02-01-2012, 04:26 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-01-2012, 04:02 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]Now you are teasing me. Please don't call me "Ms. Jayne" even in jest.  I am really sorry for the things I thought and did as a feminist and don't want the "Ms" that they introduced put with my name. 

So you know exactly how frustrating it is to be associated with feminism against your will, and yet you can't understand why it makes me so upset? How much more frustrating do you think it must be for a person who has NEVER felt any connection with feminism to be constantly labelled with it?

I am ashamed that I accepted feminist ideas so the association is upsetting for me.  This is not like your situation, so it does not help me to relate to your feelings.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17