FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The real St. Francis of Assisi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
(01-31-2012, 02:26 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]Look how disgusting feminist liberals in the 13th century depicted Saint Francis! Such a presentation has no place whatsoever in Catholicism!

Constant sarcasm is a bit tiring and misses the mark.
I am going to gather my thoughts together and write to this guy Voris. I watched the video on page 1 of this thread again, to make sure I wasn’t off track. He describes the idiot cartoon bouncing through the trees, who loves “birds that sing and people who smile” as the “feminine Francis." He then shows us “REAL Francis the masculine” by pulling an excerpt from one of Francis’ letters that deal with people who die in mortal sin – a letter that Hildegarde Bingen or any female saint could have easily written.

His message: Orthodoxy = the masculine. So tell me where does that leave the feminine?
(01-31-2012, 11:56 AM)Guardian Wrote: [ -> ]Couple things....
1) No one is calling you a feminist, but you've got to admit that tone can say a lot.  What you wrote is forceful, sarcastic, and sounds like "woman in this situation were better than the men."  I'm not accusing you of being a feminist, just saying you might want to watch how you convey things if you don't want to come across a certain way. 
2) However you meant it, thats just your interpretation of what happened.  Whether or not you are repeating what a Priest has told you still only means that its an interpretation. 
3) I agree with both of you.  The women WERE loyal and compassionate and the men weren't there BECAUSE they were scared and in hiding.  They were well known to be followers of Christ and presented a possible threat to the Romans, therefore putting them at risk for arrest and crucifixion. Again, just my interpretation.     

There is nothing wrong with my tone. I'm annoyed because I get tired of watching people like Voris making the Church look like something it's not. If you're too sensitive to see a woman doing that without your head spinning out of control, you are the problem. Not me.

PS. You're working awfully hard to ignore my original points about St. Francis and how trads overemphasize the masculine at the expense of everything else. Care to address those points? If you nitpick one tiny thing in a discussion, you run the risk of looking intellectually dishonest and undeserving of being taken seriously.
(01-31-2012, 02:57 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]I am going to gather my thoughts together and write to this guy Voris. I watched the video on page 1 of this thread again, to make sure I wasn’t off track. He describes the idiot cartoon bouncing through the trees, who loves “birds that sing and people who smile” as the “feminine Francis." He then shows us “REAL Francis the masculine” by pulling an excerpt from one of Francis’ letters that deal with people who die in mortal sin – a letter that Hildegarde Bingen or any female saint could have easily written.

His message: Orthodoxy = the masculine. So tell me where does that leave the feminine?

I agree. Since when does sentimental and annoying mean feminine?
(01-31-2012, 02:57 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]I am going to gather my thoughts together and write to this guy Voris. I watched the video on page 1 of this thread again, to make sure I wasn’t off track. He describes the idiot cartoon bouncing through the trees, who loves “birds that sing and people who smile” as the “feminine Francis." He then shows us “REAL Francis the masculine” by pulling an excerpt from one of Francis’ letters that deal with people who die in mortal sin – a letter that Hildegarde Bingen or any female saint could have easily written.

The feminine, while a good thing in itself, when unbalanced by the masculine, leads to heterodoxy.
(01-31-2012, 03:03 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: [ -> ]I agree. Since when does sentimental and annoying mean feminine?

Since...ever?
(01-31-2012, 03:08 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]

The feminine, while a good thing in itself, when unbalanced by the masculine, leads to heterodoxy.

Reverse it. Would you say that the masculine, when unbalanced by the feminine, also leads to heterodoxy?
(01-31-2012, 03:12 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]

Reverse it. Would you say that the masculine, when unbalanced by the feminine, also leads to heterodoxy?

I suspect that the masculine unbalanced by the feminine more often leads to schism, but, at any rate, it is just as bad.
(01-31-2012, 03:19 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-31-2012, 03:12 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]

I suspect that the masculine unbalanced by the feminine more often leads to schism, but, at any rate, it is just as bad.

Hmmm... interesting. So would the Eastern Orthodox be a more masculine religion and the Protestants more feminine? Sort of.. ?
(01-31-2012, 12:08 PM)Warrenton Wrote: [ -> ]For the long haul, though, we need to reject both the crying politician and the macho gangsta.  We need chivalry.  

I couldn't agree more. I need to improve in this area.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17