FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: A Priest and his ipad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has anyone seen a priest use his ipad to say the mass?? or read the gospel?? at the neighborhood NO the priest does and has it laying on the alter when not reading it. AND it once rang during mass!!

I know there was a thread about us using an ipad in place of a missal before but i never heard of a priest using it...
I know a priest who uses an iPhone as his breviary.
The writing has been on the wall...
yea... it seems disrespectful to lay the ipad on the alter. Im sure there will be a day when its commonplace. Im just a read from paper kind of guy - i haven't got into the Kindle/nook thing yet!
(02-03-2012, 03:21 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]The writing has been on the wall...
Yes it has..And is accepted by many ¨"trads".

(02-03-2012, 03:18 PM)The Curt Jester Wrote: [ -> ]I know a priest who uses an iPhone as his breviary.

There are plenty of trad priests that do. I think it's a great idea. I also know of laity who use it for a missal. That too is a good idea. Just be sure the ringer is off in either case!
(02-03-2012, 03:14 PM)Edward Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone seen a priest use his ipad to say the mass?? or read the gospel?? at the neighborhood NO the priest does and has it laying on the alter when not reading it. AND it once rang during mass!!

I know there was a thread about us using an ipad in place of a missal before but i never heard of a priest using it...

Please, how absurd! My priest tells everyone to leave electronics outside. I wouldn't be against the idea in itself if it came from the Vatican. Certainly that is the future in some way all things being equal. But I would imagine books being the norm for the foreseeable future. Obviously it is an abuse to use your iPad during Mass. That's when you leave that church. File a complaint with the Bishop.
I think the problem I have with this is that the iPad has a battery and is therefore very volatile wrt to being reliable for a Mass. Books don't have this issue, and thus I think they are superior in this instance.

The Altar Missals used during Mass should remain books, as well as the Rituale Romanum that the Priest carries. All other books can be in whichever form desired.

As for the priest praying the Breviary with his iPhone, I think it's great and it will certainly save him having to carry a ton of books with him.
Sorry, is he replacing the missal with the ipad?  Is he using it instead of the missale?  Or is he using it for his sermon, and carrying it around when he's not at the pulpit?  And is he leaving it on an altar or a table (as often used at NO)? 

If a parish has an altar missale, it's ridiculous to use an ipad instead.  It's even far more ridiculous and utterly irreverent to leave it on the altar as if it was a table.  Or leave it on the table, for that matter. 

If he's using it simply to read his sermon or look at notes for it, no problem- but there's no reason it should be anywhere but on the pulpit itself, and set up there before mass.  The congregation shouldn't really even notice.  It's a terrible sign of disrepect to simply put things not in use that have no liturgical purpose on the altar.  The only excuse I can see is if the parish actually didn't have a missal.  But considering i-pads are 5 or 6 hundred dollars and I can get an altar missal on Ebay for 3, there's no excuse.  None at all.  I would talk to the priest/and if that doesn't work, report it to your bishop. 

Fr. Z discussed this once.  In his article, he didn't seem opposed to using a digital copy on a laptop in a case of necessity, but didn't see it as a good, long-term solution.  Note however, this was before the common prevalence of tablets, so it's probably more practical now than it was then.

Of course, that is to overlook other issues, such as æsthetics and licitness, about which I will remain silent for lack of well-researched information. :)
Pages: 1 2