FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Diocese of Orange in California formally acquires Crystal Cathedral
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
‘This wonderful, now Catholic, cathedral’ - Diocese of Orange formally acquires Crystal Cathedral and adjacent campus

News release from Diocese of Orange

Orange (February 3, 2012) -- The Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange today acknowledged the close of escrow proceedings concerning ownership of the Crystal Cathedral and its adjacent 30.9 acre campus in Garden Grove, CA.

The Diocese purchased the complex following acceptance of its bid by the central California U.S. Bankruptcy Court. Formal transfer of title to the Diocese has been made. While close of escrow marks the conclusion to an emotional and complicated acquisition process, occupancy of the campus and use of the cathedral itself will not be immediate.

Under the terms of the agreement, Crystal Cathedral Ministries may continue to use the church and some other campus structures for a period of up to three years. Operational and administrative transfer of the Memorial Gardens to the Diocese will be immediate.

A diocesan pastoral center will be established on the site in due course in anticipation that nearby Catholic St. Callistus parish will eventually transfer to the new campus.

While architectural changes are required before the cathedral can be used for Catholic liturgy, Bishop [Tod] Brown noted, “Our goal is to preserve an already cherished religious landmark and to enhance its worship use for Orange County Catholics and all people of faith who may be inspired by this wonderful, now Catholic, cathedral.”

http://calcatholic.com/news/newsArticle....d89a11a9dc
This reply was second from the top on your link provided. I believe it would sum up how many here feel rather well....

"Posted Monday, February 06, 2012 5:56 AM By St. Christopher
What does Bishop Brown mean when he says, "Our goal is to preserve an already cherished religious landmark?" By whom? For what purpose? Let's see, could it be that the good Bishop will make only very minor changes to a protestant structure in order to satisfy the pesky Church? Maybe a tabernacle here, some stations of the cross there? Kneelers? Why no -- that would be disrespectful of this wonderful architecture. And then, the USCCB does not want too much kneeling anyway at Mass. See how the liberal crazies in the Church can take anything and try to use it to turn the Catholic Church away from its liturgical practices, if not theology? How long will it be before Bishop Brown will want to ban kneelers throughout the diocese, in keeping with the rich tradition of the Crystal Cathedral? The building my be "cherished" but not by Catholics.
"
Is there a St. Crystal?  Maybe they won't have to even rename it.  Or maybe they won't bother renaming it in any case.  Saints are so medieval.  Eye-roll
"Under the terms of the agreement, Crystal Cathedral Ministries may continue to use the church and some other campus structures for a period of up to three years."
IS THAT BISHOP INSANEHuh???
I'd cut my giving if I were in that Diocese for sure.
If MY $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ went to purchasing that structural abomination, then I'd DEMAND YOU GET OUT RIGHT NOW.

TODAY, I'd go in there and put-up Virgin Mary statues ALL OVER THE PLACE.
ANYTHING to make those heretics feel like getting out as fast as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I take it you don't see Protestants as belonging to the Mystical Body of Christ? How unecumenical!
The Crystal Cathedral is a landmark out here. I doubt, though, that this is much more than a bolstering of the Bishop with a pearly big building. It is an interesting piece of architecture, but I don't think it is a church which inspires souls to God. This diocese is a mess. We'll see if she collapses like other badly managed bloated organizations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_abus..._of_Orange
(02-06-2012, 01:36 PM)OldMan Wrote: [ -> ]So I take it you don't see Protestants as belonging to the Mystical Body of Christ? How unecumenical!
Very good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can be very unecumenical at times.
But this has nothing to do with being "ecumenical".
It has to do with - "you don't believe in my faith - fine. But I paid a lot of money for your structure. CONVERT, or leave."
One or the other. It's simple, really.
Joy.

I love the way my bishop wastes money. 

In fairness, he did have a letter read at the Masses yesterday about the HHS bill.  Gotta make sure he only looks bad on one front, perhaps?
Quote:It has to do with - "you don't believe in my faith - fine. But I paid a lot of money for your structure. CONVERT, or leave."
One or the other. It's simple, really.

Who exactly is this said to and how is it enforced?  Huh?
They should tear down that glass monstrosity. I really don't understand why the diocese bought it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5