FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Conclave of 1914
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(02-06-2012, 08:27 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]I've never looked into the pontificate of Benedict XV too much.

It seemed pretty average overall. He had to deal with WW1 and that was about it.

Seems about right.  He apparently was quite vigorous in his response to WWI, but nobody wanted a foreign prelate getting in the way of murdering their neighbors.
He also wrote an encyclical on Dante. How can you disapprove of a pope who does that?

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedi...um_en.html
(02-06-2012, 03:17 PM)SaintAndrew Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-06-2012, 02:22 PM)Gerard Wrote: [ -> ]To deprive the Church of having Cardinal del Val as Pope.
Cardinal O'Connell of Boston, was an hour late to vote in the conclave - he had to take ship to Rome. He was a great friend of Cardinal del Val.

mmm Older clergy have told me some stories about O´Connell (good and bad) -lets just say i don´t buy the story (nothing personal) but what i heard
was from a very holy elderly theologian and he wouldn´t say it if he wasn´t sure.  Boston has had a long string of scandals going waaay back.
Pages: 1 2