FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: For some reason, my response to Archbishop Chaput's letter didn't post
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I guess it's just a technical glitch.  I can't figure out why my response to Archbishop Chaput's letter didn't get posted on CatholicPhilly.com

http://catholicphilly.com/2012/02/archbi...s-liberty/

Archbishop Chaput's letter: 

Special Action Alert: HHS ruling flawed and dangerous; Archbishop Chaput calls on Catholics to pray, act for religious liberty
February 1, 2012

Dear friends in Christ,

The United States Department of Health and Human Services announced on January 20 that almost all employers, including Catholic employers, will be forced to offer their employees health coverage that includes sterilization, abortion-inducing drugs, and contraception.  Almost all health insurers will be forced to include those “services” in the health policies they write.  And almost all individuals will be forced to buy that coverage as a part of their policies.

In so ruling, the current Administration has undermined both the principle of religious conscience and the First Amendment to the Constitution in an unprecedented way.  Unless the ruling is overturned, faithful Catholics will be forced either to violate our consciences, or to drop health coverage for our employees and suffer the penalties for doing so.  The Administration’s only concession was to give our institutions a one-year delay to comply.  This is not merely inadequate.  It is dangerous.  And it betrays the good faith of many Catholics who — until now — have supported the current Administration with an honest will.
Bishops and lay Catholic leaders across the United States have made it clear that we cannot comply with this unjust law without compromising our convictions and undermining the Catholic identity of many of our service ministries.  This is not just another important issue among the many we need to be concerned about.  This ruling is different.  This ruling interferes with the basic right of Catholic citizens to organize and work for the common good as Catholics in the public square.

Today, I ask of you two things.  First, we need to pray for our country, for our Church, and for our own right to work freely as a believing community through our ministries in the public square.  Second, we need to act.  Please visit the Pennsylvania Catholic Conference website at  www.pacatholic.org to learn how to contact your federal Representative and Senators.  Write them, call them, visit them — and help them understand the deep resistance of Pennsylvania Catholics to this dangerous ruling.  Please also visit www.usccb.org/conscience, to learn more about this attack on religious conscience, and how to work to reverse the Administration’s decision.

Your action on this issue matters – not just today but for many years to come; and in ways that will shape the ability of the Church to witness the Gospel publicly through her ministries well into the future.  Please know that you have my gratitude and daily prayers.  And please remember me in your prayers as well.

Sincerely yours in Christ,

Most Reverend Charles J. Chaput, O.F.M. Cap.

Archbishop of Philadelphia

(Editor’s note: Catholics can call their Congressional representatives at the U.S. Capitol at 202-224-3121 to voice rejection of the HHS ruling and ask for their support of the Respect for Rights of Conscience Act, HR1179/S 1467.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My response:

Your comment has been submitted.

Your Grace,

I wonder who you are actually trying to communicate with.

I’m sorry to see the appeal to the scribblings of the Man-made and consequently unstable Constitution instead of to the rock solid faith of Catholic Truth. As Chesterton said, “Why should I trust my conscience any more than my rotting teeth or failing eyesight?”

Why not actually make the stand that it’s immoral? Do you think God actually cares if our “rights” are being trod upon? Don’t stand up for us and our rights. Stand up for Christ and His Angels. THAT is where the problem lies. Wanting to be exempt on a purely civil matter and wash hands like Pontius Pilate is simply not good enough. Evil will not be satisfied by leaving us alone. It’s a predator. It’s time to face up to the real battle.

My recommendation (with no weight other than that of a Catholic layman ) is to teach the Catholic faith unashamedly and spend less time worrying about politics. Win the Catholics back to the Catholic Church with the Catholic faith in its entirety and the political results will irresistably eventually follow due to God’s grace and nothing of our own making.

As it stands now, most Catholics are in apostasy and don’t even believe the teachings of the Church or the exclusive privileges of the one, true Church founded by our Divine Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. A simple quiz in the pews would show this. The empty pews already bear witness to it. Soon it will empty and closed Churches bearing witness to it.

Think I’m over-emphasizing the problem? Have them recite the introduction to the Athanasian Creed before Mass each week and see the howls of dissatisfaction and denial from the congregation. “Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the Catholic Faith. Which Faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled; without doubt he shall perish everlastingly.”

I would bet 90% of Catholics in the pews believe that the doctrine of the Church can actually change. So, many Church attending Catholics would not in principle be opposed to anti-life contraception and the bloody slaughter of children in the womb. Why would God even respond in the positive from the prayers of such apostates? Because our “Constitutional rights” (none of which allow for His Church to have any privilege above all other false Churches) are being violated? Why should HE care? The babies die by the 10s of millions with our without the Consitution. Sodom and Gomorrah were probably paradises compared with the mess we are in. Herod’s slaughter was nothing compared to these numbers.

After marinating for decades in indifferentism and syncretism while suffering under the delusion that there is no battle for the salvation of souls, nor enslavement to sin nor need to resist the world, the flesh and the Devil, you have no soldiers to call upon. They drifted away in the fog of the 70s 80s and 90s. The Bishops have willfully allowed the faithful to fall into this apostasy, because it can’t be said with certainty or in many cases credibility that the bishops hold the Catholic faith.

Given a choice between following Church leaders vs. Civil leaders that the people have a stake in electing, their democratic “ideals” will trump any natural or supernatural heirarchy. And if it isn’t obvious by now, no matter what grand gestures and outreach the Church has made in decades to make itself “friends” with the world, the world and the Church are enemies and only a renunciation of the faith will satisfy the world. Since the Church is indefectible, it will be forced to cease all formal social work and disappear from the public square. It’s a win-win situation for the secularists since the Churchmen were negligent in their duty. And God will allow it to happen since the Churchmen became worldly and forgot the essentials of His message of Salvation through His Divinely established Church alone.

The real solutions are completely impractical to our modern minds, but they will work.

Publicly consecrate the archdiocese to Our Lady and win grace for conversions. Stamp out the liberal dissidents in the parishes, proclaim the whole, politically incorrect Catholic faith without nuance, fear or shame. In other words, fight for souls. “Think globally and act locally” actually does have some merit in this case.

God Bless and be assured of my prayers.

By: Gerard on February 5, 2012 at 8:39 pm

(02-06-2012, 09:50 PM)Gerard Wrote: [ -> ]Your Grace,

I wonder who you are actually trying to communicate with.

I’m sorry to see the appeal to the scribblings of the Man-made and consequently unstable Constitution instead of to the rock solid faith of Catholic Truth. As Chesterton said, “Why should I trust my conscience any more than my rotting teeth or failing eyesight?”

Why not actually make the stand that it’s immoral? Do you think God actually cares if our “rights” are being trod upon? Don’t stand up for us and our rights. Stand up for Christ and His Angels. THAT is where the problem lies. Wanting to be exempt on a purely civil matter and wash hands like Pontius Pilate is simply not good enough. Evil will not be satisfied by leaving us alone. It’s a predator. It’s time to face up to the real battle.

My recommendation (with no weight other than that of a Catholic layman ) is to teach the Catholic faith unashamedly and spend less time worrying about politics. Win the Catholics back to the Catholic Church with the Catholic faith in its entirety and the political results will irresistably eventually follow due to God’s grace and nothing of our own making.

As it stands now, most Catholics are in apostasy and don’t even believe the teachings of the Church or the exclusive privileges of the one, true Church founded by our Divine Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. A simple quiz in the pews would show this. The empty pews already bear witness to it. Soon it will empty and closed Churches bearing witness to it.

Think I’m over-emphasizing the problem? Have them recite the introduction to the Athanasian Creed before Mass each week and see the howls of dissatisfaction and denial from the congregation. “Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the Catholic Faith. Which Faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled; without doubt he shall perish everlastingly.”

I would bet 90% of Catholics in the pews believe that the doctrine of the Church can actually change. So, many Church attending Catholics would not in principle be opposed to anti-life contraception and the bloody slaughter of children in the womb. Why would God even respond in the positive from the prayers of such apostates? Because our “Constitutional rights” (none of which allow for His Church to have any privilege above all other false Churches) are being violated? Why should HE care? The babies die by the 10s of millions with our without the Consitution. Sodom and Gomorrah were probably paradises compared with the mess we are in. Herod’s slaughter was nothing compared to these numbers.

After marinating for decades in indifferentism and syncretism while suffering under the delusion that there is no battle for the salvation of souls, nor enslavement to sin nor need to resist the world, the flesh and the Devil, you have no soldiers to call upon. They drifted away in the fog of the 70s 80s and 90s. The Bishops have willfully allowed the faithful to fall into this apostasy, because it can’t be said with certainty or in many cases credibility that the bishops hold the Catholic faith.

Given a choice between following Church leaders vs. Civil leaders that the people have a stake in electing, their democratic “ideals” will trump any natural or supernatural heirarchy. And if it isn’t obvious by now, no matter what grand gestures and outreach the Church has made in decades to make itself “friends” with the world, the world and the Church are enemies and only a renunciation of the faith will satisfy the world. Since the Church is indefectible, it will be forced to cease all formal social work and disappear from the public square. It’s a win-win situation for the secularists since the Churchmen were negligent in their duty. And God will allow it to happen since the Churchmen became worldly and forgot the essentials of His message of Salvation through His Divinely established Church alone.

The real solutions are completely impractical to our modern minds, but they will work.

Publicly consecrate the archdiocese to Our Lady and win grace for conversions. Stamp out the liberal dissidents in the parishes, proclaim the whole, politically incorrect Catholic faith without nuance, fear or shame. In other words, fight for souls. “Think globally and act locally” actually does have some merit in this case.

God Bless and be assured of my prayers.

By: Gerard on February 5, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Wow! Great response. I can see why it might have hit a glitch.

When I read the following, I heard that exquisite ring of truth.

“no matter what grand gestures and outreach the Church has made in decades to make itself “friends” with the world, the world and the Church are enemies and only a renunciation of the faith will satisfy the world.”
Good response!

It seems the modern modus operandi is to do the right thing for the wrong reasons. What we're left with is a pantomime of the Faith that is much closer to a spiritual humanism than the teachings of Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. This is the purely naturalistic religion of the Modernists.
Gerard, you should give all of us permission to use this and sign our name with it and we can post it on all the bishops.  This is too good to be ignored by just one bishop.
An excellent letter. Why not print it off and send it Archbishop Chaput personally? It deserves to be read.
I'm glad that you guys gave it a positive response.  I was worried that some might think it was "too harsh" though it wasn't intended to be anything but a strong reminder of what the real priorities are. 

Anyone can feel free to take it and make it their own to send to their bishops. 
I think such sentiments may be better expressed privately when writing to a bishop, but right on. We need lions for leaders now.
The ironic or rather hypocritical part of it is that the bishops are demanding Catholics speak up and make the secular leaders know their opinion.  I made my opinion known and through technological trickery, my opinion is not going into the "public square" at least in the venue the archbishop uses. 

So what's to stop the secular leaders from doing the same schtick?  No-nonsense Catholicism is unwelcome to the Catholic leaders in favor of "rah rah!" comments only.  So secular leaders are going to respond...why?

It seems that it's liberal Democrat Catholic bishops are using conservative Republican Catholics in order to sway the agenda of the Democrat party and acrue secular influence for the bishops within the Democrat party. 

No Catholic in his right mind could vote for a Democrat supporting abortion (nor could they support a Republican who supports abortion)  but as a priest, archbishop Chaput supported Jimmy Carter and believe it or not, his re-election campaign.  When I read that a while ago, I was astounded.  "At the time, I knew Carter was wrong in his views about Roe and soft toward permissive abortion. But even as a priest, I justified working for him because he wasn’t aggressively “pro-choice.” True, he held a bad position on a vital issue, but I believed he was right on so many more of the “Catholic” issues than his opponent seemed to be. The moral calculus looked easy. I thought we could remedy the abortion problem after Carter was safely returned to office."--First Things Magazine June 2008

Maybe in some strange way I don't understand, II'm not being fair but something like that, I knew instinctively as a child in 1976 and in 1980 that abortion was murder. It's like a joke out of the Simpsons, when electing Sideshow Bob as Mayor of Springfield, Homer says, "I don't agree with his Bart-killing policy, but I do agree with his Selma-killing policy."  But in this case, the reality is,  "I don't agree with his baby-killing policy, but I do agree with his foreign aid and welfare expansion policies." 

I need to post my bishop's letter so you can see the brilliant punch he gave those leftists!  :LOL: