FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: One Weird-Looking Church
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now this is one wild looking church. It reminds me of something from a Harry Potter novel.

[Image: church2.jpg]

It is called the “Sagrada Familia” a large Roman Catholic church in Barcelona Spain.
Construction was started in 1883 and projected to be completed by 2028.
The church was consecrated by Pope Benedict XVI in 2010
No, I don't like it.  Makes me feel uneasy looking at it.
I don't mind it. What I do mind are the churches built in the last 10 years that look like a Wendy's or an Arby's. Because this church was began in 1883, it was meant to be traditional I believe.
There is some continuity between it and earlier Spanish styles, at least.
Hideous.
It scares me to look at it.
I don't like it either, even the inside. It looks so goofy it could be used in a movie about demons.

tim
It looks like its melting from some intense heat source.
Kind of surrealistic version of Gothic architecture.
Bad Dali style.
(02-09-2012, 01:57 PM)Old Salt Wrote: [ -> ]Bad Dali style.

Hardly. Dali might have been influenced by it, however, since the Church had been 21 years in the building when he was born.

And, BTW, the Cause for Beatification of Antonio Gaudi, the architect of Sagrada Familia, has been introduced, because of his intense faith and holy life.
Sagrada Familia was designed by Antoni Gaudi, a devout Catholic who lived a celibate life and whose cause is up for beatification.  HK is right that his style is in continuity with earlier Spanish church architecture.  See here for some excellent examples: http://sthughofcluny.org/2009/10/the-rer...-spain.htm

(02-09-2012, 01:20 PM)SaintAndrew Wrote: [ -> ]I don't mind it. What I do mind are the churches built in the last 10 years that look like a Wendy's or an Arby's. Because this church was began in 1883, it was meant to be traditional I believe.

THIS. That church is infinitely preferable to the boring humdrum "modern" style of so many churches (including the one I attend, sadly).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6