FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Square One
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
The parish in which I was going to be baptized got a new priest recently.  I made an appointment and had a chat about what I was doing, and I was hoping to maybe get baptized early.  We had an...interesting discussion. He's thoroughly a VII priest. Dyed in the wool, true blue, through and through.
When I told him I've been trying to get my step daughter (7) baptized, he asked me why.
Unsure uh, to redeem her from original sin? If something horrible happens and she dies, I want her to go to heaven.
Guess what he said.
Guess.

"The church doesn't teach that unbaptized babies don't go to heaven"

Save me now people. Save me now.  sad
Kindly ask Father to show you in Church documents where it is officially taught "now" that baptism is not needed for salvation.
That is discouraging for you, but it is possible that this is the only point on which his teaching is suspect.  Perhaps you can still work with him.
Is their another Church where you can go ? There is really not much use trying to tap dance around the issues with dear Father New. Do you really want to spend all of your time sifting his words like sands, to see what other pieces of broken glass are in there ? Run, do not walk, away !

tim
I'd take that issue to the Bishop and also leave that parish.  That's flat out ridiculous.  The Church says it doesn't know for sure what happens to unbaptized young children but entrusts them to the mercy of God.  Maybe they get to Heaven... maybe they DON'T!  Why in the world would you take a risk like that with your child's eternal soul?  Good grief.  That's how I'd put it to him. 

Besides, she's right around the age of reason and possibly culpable for personal sin.

Shocked
(02-09-2012, 01:38 PM)knittycat Wrote: [ -> ]The parish in which I was going to be baptized got a new priest recently.  I made an appointment and had a chat about what I was doing, and I was hoping to maybe get baptized early.  We had an...interesting discussion. He's thoroughly a VII priest. Dyed in the wool, true blue, through and through.
When I told him I've been trying to get my step daughter (7) baptized, he asked me why.
Unsure uh, to redeem her from original sin? If something horrible happens and she dies, I want her to go to heaven.
Guess what he said.
Guess.

"The church doesn't teach that unbaptized babies don't go to heaven"

Save me now people. Save me now.  sad

Run from him and never look back. He's yet another wolf in sheep's clothing.
(02-09-2012, 01:46 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]That is discouraging for you, but it is possible that this is the only point on which his teaching is suspect.  Perhaps you can still work with him.
Unfortunately it is far from the only point on which his teaching is suspect. It was just the most terrifying at the time.
(02-09-2012, 01:46 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]That is discouraging for you, but it is possible that this is the only point on which his teaching is suspect.  Perhaps you can still work with him.

Incredible.
His excuse for not baptizing her now is that her father and I aren't married, and I am not baptized. We are co-habitating, but we are living chastely until we can be married. Hence my wanting to get baptized asap. We got into this situation badly, but we are doing our darnest to make it right. Father 'New' says that he doesn't want to baptize her if there is no guarantee she'll be raised catholic.
Get this though.
She going to catholic school. HIS catholic school. The school that is attached to his church. So, he's worried she won't be raised Catholic when we are spending 350 dollars a month to make sure she is? He's not certain Mr and I will be married, when I have been doing everything in my power to make it so for the past two years, while I have been stonewalled at every turn?
Mr and I aren't married because I am not baptized. I have been trying to get baptized for TWO YEARS so we can be married. WTHHuh?

I pray about it, I work hard on it, I'm just so discouraged. It makes me want to cry.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7