FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: It's good to be a Melkite
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
(02-15-2012, 03:40 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-15-2012, 03:23 PM)Parmandur Wrote: [ -> ]They think differently than you, because of culture and heritage.  That does not mean they are heretics.

Of course not, but keep in mind that Eastern Catholics in the United States, for instance, share he same culture and language of Western Catholics. There shouldn't be so many excuses for communication breakdowns.

Actually, I'd say that makes it more difficult to communicate, as the secular culture is the same, but the religious culture and tradition retains the historical difference in language and thought patterns.  So on a basic level, communication is easy, but about religion, confusion abounds.
(02-15-2012, 03:44 PM)Parmandur Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-15-2012, 03:23 PM)Parmandur Wrote: [ -> ]They think differently than you, because of culture and heritage.  That does not mean they are heretics.

Of course not, but keep in mind that Eastern Catholics in the United States, for instance, share he same culture and language of Western Catholics. There shouldn't be so many excuses for communication breakdowns.

Actually, I'd say that makes it more difficult to communicate, as the secular culture is the same, but the religious culture and tradition retains the historical difference in language and thought patterns.  So on a basic level, communication is easy, but about religion, confusion abounds.

With good will, things can be explained and understood.

Language is not a gnostic thing.
(02-15-2012, 03:48 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-15-2012, 03:44 PM)Parmandur Wrote: [ -> ]

With good will, things can be explained and understood.

Language is not a gnostic thing.

I agree.  That's why ill will and blatant attacks are to be condemned, and peaceable explanation is a better idea.  Language is, actually, a gnostic thing, with a small 'g.'  It needs to be understood intellectually to be effective as a mode of communication.  Which is why blaming Easterners for not understanding intricate Scholastic concepts that are foreign to their culture, rather than trying to understand and explain, is not a good plan.
(02-15-2012, 03:23 PM)Parmandur Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-15-2012, 03:17 PM)TrentCath Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-15-2012, 01:12 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-15-2012, 08:37 AM)TrentCath Wrote: [ -> ]Nice sidestep but no, the issue is not with Christs words but with your abuse in applying them and with your inability to refrain from criticising the western church and make statements suspect of heresy, a habit which appears to be quite common among eastern catholics.

It appears common among Eastern Catholics to you because you presume a priori that our views are heretical.  You see the devil behind every tree because you're looking for him there.

False, again. It's a well known fact that many eastern catholics have erroneous views on the eclessiology of the Church, the nature of the Popes powers and ecumenical councils.

"Well known" is it?  So, you are using the force of rumor in order to hold Easter Catholics as guilty until proven innocent?  Very Christian of you.  They think differently than you, because of culture and heritage.  That does not mean they are heretics.

I said no such thing, cease your childish misconstruing of my words.

(02-15-2012, 04:44 PM)TrentCath Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-15-2012, 08:37 AM)TrentCath Wrote: [ -> ]Nice sidestep but no, the issue is not with Christs words but with your abuse in applying them and with your inability to refrain from criticising the western church and make statements suspect of heresy, a habit which appears to be quite common among eastern catholics.

It appears common among Eastern Catholics to you because you presume a priori that our views are heretical.  You see the devil behind every tree because you're looking for him there.

False, again. It's a well known fact that many eastern catholics have erroneous views on the eclessiology of the Church, the nature of the Popes powers and ecumenical councils.

"Well known" is it?  So, you are using the force of rumor in order to hold Easter Catholics as guilty until proven innocent?  Very Christian of you.  They think differently than you, because of culture and heritage.  That does not mean they are heretics.

I do not concede that I misconstrued your words, but frankly, those who live in glass houses ought not to throw stones.
(02-14-2012, 10:34 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-14-2012, 10:19 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]I do have a sense of humour.

Don't judge me too harshly.

It's more the internet than you.  For whatever reason, sarcasm is a bitch in written form.
Many a misunderstanding may be prevented by using purple font for sarcastic commentary... e.g.
This sure is a brotherly, lighthearted discussion.   :grin:
(02-15-2012, 04:53 PM)Josie Wrote: [ -> ]

It's more the internet than you.  For whatever reason, sarcasm is a bitch in written form.
Many a misunderstanding may be prevented by using purple font for sarcastic commentary... e.g.
This sure is a brotherly, lighthearted discussion.    :grin:

LOL
(02-15-2012, 04:53 PM)Josie Wrote: [ -> ]

This sure is a brotherly, lighthearted discussion.    :grin:

You win the internet.
Vetus said a wise thing a minute ago ~ With good will, things can be explained and understood

:cheers:  Come, let us reason together....
(02-15-2012, 04:48 PM)Parmandur Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-15-2012, 04:44 PM)TrentCath Wrote: [ -> ]

I do not concede that I misconstrued your words, but frankly, those who live in glass houses ought not to throw stones.

Paradamur if you think I did wrong then correct me and spell out my sin, if not keep your stones to yourself and let us move on to more important matters.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20