FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Broke out with hives - Amoxicillin allergy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
As some of you probably know, I recently had three wisdom teeth extracted (see here: http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...704.0.html)

The oral surgeon proscribed amoxicillin to prevent an infection, and Vicodin for the pain. For the first couple of days, I took the anti-biotics, no problem. Today, that changed.
After eating with my mother, I suddenly began to have a prickly feeling in my hands, face, and head while heading home in the car. Soon after, I was red and with hives all over my body, and extremely itchy. Fortunately, there was Benadryl in the car, and as soon as I arrived home, I jumped in the shower to soothe the itchiness. I took another Vicodin (one every four hours), went to sleep, and woke up feeling much better, the rashes having gone away.

Thanks be to God that I wasn't driving, nor was I at school or in a public place with no one around to help. I panicked and had no idea what was happening to me. It could have been A LOT worse, Deo gratias I had only one class today.
More vicodin will fix that.
Hives are nasty.  I have occasional (thankully, rare) bouts with them due to allergies.  Benedryl is my friend. 
(02-18-2012, 11:05 AM)Joamy Wrote: [ -> ]Benedryl is my friend. 

The Benadryl helped a lot. It basically stopped the allergic reaction from getting any worse.
Be careful with that.  The reaction gets more and more violent with more exposures.  Next time you take peniscillin it might put you into shock.
(02-18-2012, 12:55 PM)miss_fluffy Wrote: [ -> ]Be careful with that.  The reaction gets more and more violent with more exposures.  Next time you take peniscillin it might put you into shock.

I'm not taking anything ending with -cillin unless I know I won't have a reaction.
Be lucky you didn't get the black tongue!
(02-18-2012, 01:34 PM)Adam_Michael Wrote: [ -> ]Be lucky you didn't get the black tongue!
lingua villosa nigra

[Image: tong-villi.jpg]
Indeed, black tongue is pretty disgusting, and not something I want to have in my head...
Make sure that your doctor knows about the reaction, and your pharmacy.  They can put an "allergy alert" on your records - will hopefully help so you don't get prescribed something similar. 
Pages: 1 2 3