FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Reminder -- Ember Days
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Today is Ember Saturday in Lent. The Epistle reading is taken from St. Paul’s letter to the Thessalonians:
Brethren, we beseech you, rebuke the unquiet, comfort the feeble-minded, support the weak, be patient towards all men. See that none render evil for evil to any man; but ever follow that which is good toward each other, and toward all men. Always rejoice. Pray without ceasing. In all things give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you all. Extinguish not the spirit. Despise not prophecies. But prove all things; hold fast that which is good. From all appearance of evil refrain yourselves. And may the God of peace Himself sanctify you in all things that your whole spirit, and soul, and body, may be preserved blameless, for the coming of Our Lord Jesus Christ.
I gave up Ember Days for Lent.  And the rest of the year too. 
Below is the  1917 Code of Canon Law Canon 1252, on the times of fasting and abstinence.
"The 1917 Code of Canon Law" Wrote:        Canon 1252. § 1. The law of abstinence alone is to be observed on all Fridays.

§ 2. The law of abstinence and fast together is to be observed on Ash Wednesday, the Fridays and Saturdays of Lent, the Ember days [all day], and on the Vigils of Pentecost, the Assumption, All Saints, and the Nativity.

§ 3. The law of fast alone is to be observed on the other days of Lent.

§ 4. On Sundays and days of obligation the law ceases except on a feast of obligation during Lent; and the vigils are not anticipated; likewise the law ceases on Holy Saturday at noon.

Now some are saying that "traditionally..." various things are so.  But if these things did not come from the 1917 Code of Canon Law, where did they come from? (I am not talking about changes starting in 1983, but practices that are even stricter than the 1917 Code):

No meat in lent? - but the 1917 code says "...law of fast alone is to be observed".  Of course this doesn't mean that abstinence is forbidden but that the only law that MUST be observed EVERY day is the law of fast

No meat on Wednesdays?  But the 1917 code doesn't say that (not for non-Ember days)

Also, has anyone pointed out that fast and abstinence are both to observed on every SATURDAY in Lent?

...Well I don't know if I'm up to just fasting and abstaining EVERY day to be safe (with Sunday off); but that almost seems simplest  :)  Not to worry.  Actually I like DrBombay's solution:
(03-03-2012, 10:39 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]I gave up Ember Days for Lent.  And the rest of the year too. 
My roads the safest bet.  I plan on getting to heaven with as little inconvenience to my normal enjoyment of luxuries and regular meal times as I possibly can. I rely on God's grace for the rest of it.  Especially graces of the prevenient type.  I'm banking on a lot of those. Not presuming of course...heavens no, never presuming....
(03-03-2012, 11:14 PM)Doce Me Wrote: [ -> ]No meat in lent? - but the 1917 code says "...law of fast alone is to be observed".  Of course this doesn't mean that abstinence is forbidden but that the only law that MUST be observed EVERY day is the law of fast

Take a look at my post on page 2.  Fasting was always accompanied by abstinence and is implied in the 1917 Code.  Partial abstinence began as a "Workerman's Indult" in the US where manual labourers and their families were excluded from the laws of abstinence on all non-Fridays of Lent, but that was later extended to everyone.

Quote:No meat on Wednesdays?   But the 1917 code doesn't say that (not for non-Ember days)

I'm not sure what you mean - I didn't see anyone say Wednesdays were days of complete abstinence in Lent.  Ember Wednesdays (and Saturdays) were even made days of partial abstinence for American Catholics.

Quote:Also, has anyone pointed out that fast and abstinence are both to observed on every SATURDAY in Lent?

Yep, page 1!
Pages: 1 2 3