FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: "Who is the priest who denied a lesbian woman Communion?"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

I had the original story from the WP open in a window when i went out today and was about to shut it down a few minutes ago when I noticed a link to another story, also at the WP.

Before I post that, let me say that in the original thread here, someone has posted this:

"Deacon Greg posted the following update to his story. It seems that someone from St. John Newmann wrote to him the following:

"Just wanted to let you know that there is a lot more to this story than has been published। I was in a meeting with Fr Marcel and heard the whole story। The woman in question brought her lesbian partner into the vesting sacristy just before the funeral Mass and made sure to introduce her partner to Fr Marcel, introducing her as her ‘lover’. He told her then that she should not present herself for Communion."

OK, this is from an anonymous source so credibility is a problem.  If it's true, why hasn't the priest himself said this in response to the WP article?  He could have called the WP writer who wrote the original article and given his version of the story.  Not getting out in front of this is going to hurt him, and the Church.  Seminaries really need to teach some courses about public relations because priests keep getting themselves into public relations disasters.

Since the three of them were alone in the sacristy in the priest's version, why didn't he not just tell Barbara Johnson that he wouldn't give her Communion if she was in a state of mortal sin AND offer to hear her confession right then?  Even if she really said the woman was her "lover", if she then made a good confession, she should have been given absolution and allowed to receive Communion at her mother's funeral Mass.  If he doesn't believe people can change their behavior, can he be an effective priest when working with sinners?

Suppose she lied in her confession?  That's her problem -- God knows when people lie and no doubt many do lie in confession.  They will have to answer to God for it.  Priests aren't mind readers, though.  As far as I know, they are not allowed to refuse absolution to someone because they suspect the person lied.

Now, please read this article, which apparently pre-dates the anonymous statement by someone from St. John Neumann Church.

The priest refused to talk to this man at all and I think it's likely he's refused to talk to others, too.

Posted at 09:33 AM ET, 02/29/2012

Who is the priest who denied a lesbian woman Communion?
By Michael S. Rosenwald

Last night I got into my car and drove over to St. John Neumann Catholic Church in Gaithersburg. I was looking for The Rev. Marcel Guarnizo. I wanted to ask him why he denied Communion to a lesbian woman at her mother’s funeral.

He put his hand over the body of Christ and looked at me and said, ‘I can’t give you Communion because you live with a woman, and in the eyes of the church, that is a sin,’ ” Barbara Johnson told my colleague Michelle Boorstein in a gripping story

I did not find him at the church. A lovely man preparing for a class gave me directions to the rectory, which was just up the road, a house set up on a hill with a three-car garage. I wanted to ask Guarnizo, “Do you regret not offering her Communion? I mean, her mother just died. Why did you do this?”

The church’s Web site, after all, mentions a mural “that adorns our sanctuary depicts Christ as the Savior of ALL People. We believe diversity within our Community is a true reflection of Christ’s universal message.”

There were no lights on at the rectory. I rang the front doorbell. No answer. I rang the side doorbell. No answer. I got back in my car. I wondered how old Guarnizo is. I wondered if he was a nice guy. I wondered whether he was a rigid man, or a forgiving one.

I went back to the rectory this afternoon. Pastor Thomas G. LaHood answered the door and said Guarnizo was there, but that the church had no comment beyond what the archdiocese had already said. I kindly requested LaHood ask Guarnizo if he would tell me that himself. LaHood went to ask him and came back to say, "He's not gonna come out to comment."

I found him on YouTube. He seems to be a relatively young. He is thin and well kept and well spoken, and in the video below he took an extremely hardline stand against abortion last year in Germantown at a rally called “2,000 for Life.”

Guarnizo calls a doctor who performs abortions “The Butcher of Germantown.” And he compares the doctor and the act of abortion to the crimes and criminals of Nazi Germany during the Holocaust. It’s a remarkable video, and I urge you to watch it in its entirety.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/rose..._local_pop

The video is embedded at the bottom of the article.  I have not watched it yet.  I'm glad this priest is strongly pro-life.  We need more who are.  I fear he will be attacked for comparing abortion to the Holocaust since everybody else who's made that comparison has been. 

Comparing Roe to Dred Scott is a far better analogy.  The Atlantic Monthly had a very well-written and lengthy article making that comparison about 1994.  Try to get a copy for your own use in future debates.

I'm glad this priest opposes same-sex marriage, too, but the Church says we are to oppose homosexual acts, and all sex outside marriage, but to love homosexuals and recognize them as children of God.

(03-01-2012, 12:42 AM)Revixit Wrote: [ -> ]Even if she really said the woman was her "lover", if she then made a good confession, she should have been given absolution and allowed to receive Communion at her mother's funeral Mass.

How do you keep forgetting that a firm purpose of amendment is necessary for absolution?  Anyone could make the reasonable assumption that this woman had no intention of avoiding similar sins in the future, especially if she introduced the other woman as her 'lover.'  To grant her absolution would not only have been impossible, it would have been a mockery of the sacrament.

And what's different about a funeral Mass that should make more willing to risk sacrilege ???

Priests were given permission to make these calls when the sacrament was instituted:
"Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them: and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained."
(03-01-2012, 12:50 AM)Pheo Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-01-2012, 12:42 AM)Revixit Wrote: [ -> ]Even if she really said the woman was her "lover", if she then made a good confession, she should have been given absolution and allowed to receive Communion at her mother's funeral Mass.

How do you keep forgetting that a firm purpose of amendment is necessary for absolution?

Pheo, how do you keep forgetting that mere facts cannot cauterize a bleeding heart?
The article said that spoke to the priest before the funeral in the sacristy, telling him that so and so was her sodomite lover. From that point, her sin became public, and thus she was refused communion. Its quite simple.
(03-01-2012, 12:58 AM)tmw89 Wrote: [ -> ]

How do you keep forgetting that a firm purpose of amendment is necessary for absolution?

Pheo, how do you keep forgetting that mere facts cannot cauterize a bleeding heart?

You'd think I would have learned that in my years spent at CAF...

Years :puke:
It doesn't matter whether he was "insensitive" or not.  He did the right thing ultimately.  He knew she was lesbian, he wasn't mistakenly accusing her of Lesbianism.  There isn't any indication that the rest of the congregation was shocked by the revelation of the priest "outing" her.  

He might want to apologize to her on behalf of the catholic clergy and lay people who mislead her into believing she could in good conscience go to communion.  Her ignorance and jumping to conclusions and threats against the priest seem to be the fruit of her subpar formation as a Catholic.  

(03-01-2012, 12:58 AM)tmw89 Wrote: [ -> ]

ROFL.
This is too much!

HAHAHA  :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Revexit: no doubt you support Archbishop Niederauer in this matter as well:

[Image: sistersholyredeemer.jpg][Image: 230_Homo01.jpg]

because after all according to you, he didn't KNOW that these two "men" hadn't just made a good confession in the past hour, right?

Your postings on this topic make me sick.

(03-01-2012, 01:14 AM)wsxyz Wrote: [ -> ]Revexit: no doubt you support Archbishop Niederauer in this matter as well:

[Image: sistersholyredeemer.jpg][Image: 230_Homo01.jpg]

because after all according to you, he didn't KNOW that these two "men" hadn't just made a good confession in the past hour, right?

Your postings on this topic make me sick.
For the first time, I agree with your post wsxyz.
It reminds me of the time I got a call from the head of the diocesan Office of Divine Worship (yes, me!) for not being pastoral when I refused to play, among other things, Amazing Grace for a funeral.   My answer was that I'd rather do the right thing than be pastoral.  All this be compassionate, be pastoral garbage is really sickening.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11