FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Did Jesus speak Latin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

I know Jesus mainly spoke Aramaic, but when addressing the Romans would he have spoken Latin or even Greek?  For example when he spoke to the centurion who wanted his servant healed in which language whould they have actually conversed?
And then I think the writers of the Gospels wrote in Greek from oral histories?
Well, he certainly spoke Latin to Pilate.  I don't know if he spoke it to the centurion, as the centurion may have approached him in aramaic...

For Catholics (especially trads), that scene with Christ and Pilate is so much more amazing in the Passion of the Christ.  Since the entire movie is written in two "dead" languages, someone who isn't familiar with them would not pick up the switch from Aramaic to Latin that happens in the "what is truth?" scene.  It is indicated by the facial reactions of the Romans present in the scene that something is out of the ordinary, but it's not like there's anything really telling you.
Boy, that's a doozy of a question. I hope someone with some knowledge of that time answers. I'll be back.

tim
I would say yes. Our Lord probably knew Greek and Latin, in addition to His everyday Aramaic and the Hebrew He used to read scripture.

I second what Mith said. Watch the scene with Our Lord and Pilate in the Passion.
Probably not.

He probably spoke to Pilate in Greek. The lingua-franca of the Eastern half of the Roman Empire was Greek, and this was used by soldiers and officials (and merchants, and administrators, etc etc) all throughout that region. So, in all probability, the Roman soldiers in Iudaea Province spoke Greek, and perhaps a bit of the local Aramaic language, and also their own native language (depending on where those soldiers came from). Jesus and his disciples would have spoken to the Roman occupiers in Greek or Aramaic.
But then again, on the basis of his divine omniscience as the Word of God, Jesus probably knew every human language.
(03-02-2012, 12:48 AM)Raskolnikov Wrote: [ -> ]But then again, on the basis of his divine omniscience as the Word of God, Jesus probably knew every human language.

You said exactly what I just thought lol. I need to go watch The Passion again as well.
God knows all languages.
(03-02-2012, 02:05 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]God knows all languages.
This.
(03-02-2012, 02:05 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]God knows all languages.

Even the ones Rosarium knows?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5