FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Paul Harvey blast from the past
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As he always said at the end of his radio broadcast coast to coast, Good Day. I stumbled on this clip and I liked it lots. Paul Harvey was considered corny, but I listened any way. In this clip he is possibly prophesing in a very real sense. My Catholicus Sensus tells me he was Catholic but I don't have proof. See what you think.

Remember this was the terrible sixties, but somehow this guy understood right from wrong.

Enjoy,

tim
What insight. I regret I'd never heard of him until just now.
In the old days when Chicago was the Capital of the entire USA farming and cattle ranching middle of the country, he was a fixture on the radio every day at Noon. He gave the news with a decided slant toward right and wrong. We had a large Admiral Radio in the kitchen, on a nook shelf my father had made for it. If I came home for lunch from St. Andrews, I always listened. I think he was on ABC radio network coast to coast.

tim
I don't think Paul was a Catholic.  He was some kind of protestant if I recall right.  But certainly he was a man of vision and foresight all the same.

I remember him well from my childhood when listening to the radio on long drives when there was only looking out the window and listening to the statewide AM radio station.  Mmmm, Paul Harvey and farm reports. :)
"The story behind the story"
I don't think he was Catholic either. But I liked him as well.

Although, I think some of his "rest of the stories" were a bit suspect, IMHO.

I wish I was around before they destroyed Father Coughlin. That was interesting radio.
Aw, Paul Harvey! I used to listen to him quite frequently with my dad. Good times. He often conveyed ideas through stories, and I really liked that.

Good day!
Jacob, was that an oblique reference to Oreon Samuelson, with farm reports ? That was his program where he told all the farmers what corn, wheat, and pork bellies were getting ? We were Hog Butcher to the World. hahaha

tim
No one in particular.  I'm a town boy, so following the specific farm reports was not really something I learned to do.  But living in Iowa and listening to WHO on a regular basis back in the late 80s and into the 90s, Paul Harvey was followed by the midday farm report with all the prices and stuff.

Is that Samuelson the guy who did the syndicated US Farm Report on TV?  If that's the same guy, I do know him, yes. :)
(03-20-2012, 09:55 AM)Jacob Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think Paul was a Catholic.  He was some kind of protestant if I recall right.  But certainly he was a man of vision and foresight all the same.

I remember him well from my childhood when listening to the radio on long drives when there was only looking out the window and listening to the statewide AM radio station.  Mmmm, Paul Harvey and farm reports. :)

Yep, same here. I don't recall ever knowing anyone who didn't like listening to him!
Good find Tim!

According to this link, he was buried in a Presbyterian Church. 
Pages: 1 2