FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Priests who say the Mass very quickly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Have any of you wondered how it is that some priests say the Mass so quickly? I mean, how do they stay pious, and expect us to, when it's said so quickly? I guess sometimes it's because they might be meditating on a particular subject, and perhaps so involved in that meditation, that the words of the Mass become something like a formula that just has to be said, without any flourishes or drama, to produce the right effect, and sort of secondary to what is going on, namely, the unbloody sacrifice of Calvary. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Also, I've thought that maybe they totally de-emphasize the delivery, or the 'performance' aspect, because they're not Protestants, who place so much emphasis on the emotions. But it would help me understand if I knew more opinions.

I've also noticed myself praying a great deal faster than when I first started simply because I'm more comfortable with the words. I imagine any priest has already, by the time he's celebrating Mass, become quite comfortable with Latin, and the liturgy, to the point that it's almost conversational. What do you think?

(03-20-2012, 07:09 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: [ -> ]What do you think?

All I think is that's a mercy for priests to pray the silent portions of the Mass at a brisk pace, and the spoken or sung portions at a "conversational" pace. The priest who celebrates the Mass in my area is from a religious order and does so in a very pious, slow, deliberate pace. It takes its toll on my patience after a while.

There are actually liturgical guidelines about all this, by the way. One should neither celebrate Mass to quickly nor too slowly.
(03-20-2012, 07:50 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2012, 07:09 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: [ -> ]What do you think?

All I think is that's a mercy for priests to pray the silent portions of the Mass at a brisk pace, and the spoken or sung portions at a "conversational" pace. The priest who celebrates the Mass in my area is from a religious order and does so in a very pious, slow, deliberate pace. It takes its toll on my patience after a while.

There are actually liturgical guidelines about all this, by the way. One should neither celebrate Mass to quickly nor too slowly.

The SSPX priests always say most reverent Masses.  One priest in retreat stated: "Every Mass should be said like it was your first Mass, your last Mass, your only Mass" 

This may have come from Archbishop Lefebvre.
People talk at a very wide range of speeds, and so it must be with the Mass too, I guess. I've noticed a great benefit since I posted this question (I hope it's a benefit, and not a sign of slipping). I'm praying a lot faster now myself, and I'm actually more relaxed and alert.
Francisco,

Good recommendation about saying the Mass as if it were your 1st, last, only, but the saying, I am sure, outdates the good archbishop.  I have seen in some sacristies a sign recommending that the pries of God to keep these ideas in his mind as he sets to go out to offer Mass. 
  Not that anyone has given an actual minute count, I have found that 30 minutes is on the short side of a low Mass with only maybe 10-20 communicants to 40 minutes same communicants, depending on the priest.  My experience is that it leans closer to 40 as a rule. 

Joe
I remember a priest (NO) who used to speak so fast the words were almost slurred.  It seemed very strange to me, but I don't think it's because he was rushing but because he always spoke really fast.

"blessedareyouLordGodofallcreationthroughyourgoodnesswehavethese..."
(03-21-2012, 01:54 PM)The Curt Jester Wrote: [ -> ]I remember a priest (NO) who used to speak so fast the words were almost slurred.  It seemed very strange to me, but I don't think it's because he was rushing but because he always spoke really fast.

"blessedareyouLordGodofallcreationthroughyourgoodnesswehavethese..."

I'm curious to know how people deal with this. Offer it up? Pray for the priest? Pray for charity, I guess. It's so distracting when they do that! Maybe I should forget about following along when that happens, and pray the rosary instead. I need to do something different, that's clear.

:nervous:

Back in the day, some priests were known to say masses in just 15 minutes.

Such devotion!
The pre-Vatican II fast end guideline, I believe, was: 17 minutes was too fast and a liturgical abuse. My priests say it pretty darn fast, and they still only clock in at around 22 minutes. That gives people enough time to have their lunch and get back to work.

Of course, before Vatican II, you'd have several Masses to schedule every Sunday, so things would have to clip along pretty quick to get everybody served.

It isn't realistic to expect to hear every word in Latin enunciated. Nobody talks English that way, and if you listen to somebody speaking any foreign language, it sounds like a never-ending string of odd, garbled sounds. The Mass shouldn't be showy or "pious" in a way that calls attention to just how pious it is. It should flow along naturally.
Thank you. That expains it somewhat. But if time is a factor, why would the same priest put so many pauses into his homily? The priests I've noticed who seem to rush the Mass, slow down so much in the homily it's embarassing to me. They slow it down, and they drag it out. There aren't many of these priests, in my experience, only 2, actually, out of some 100 or so that I've seen celebrate Mass. But I don't understand how there could even be one traditional priest who does this seemingly habitually. Maybe I'm a perfectionist. I should add that the factor in this that makes it so mysterious is that these are truly humble priests. They're both personable, as well. It pains me to complain about a priest, but I'd like to figure this out. I wouldn't dream of asking anyone I know, because I realize it sounds disrespectful.
Pages: 1 2